The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Remeber Weed-Hopper, Progress Comes in Baby Steps!

The Atkins Chronicle has published another one of my wife's stories (front page, below the fold) this week. If you are interested in depression in the elderly, check it out here. Also, Cat Fancy Magazine will be publishing a story of hers (with a related sidebar article on their online edition) this fall. Aside from the excitement of seeing my wife in print again, it is more money for our Dark Mistress. That'll probably be enough money to buy the tile for a shower, a counter top, and a backsplash.

We’re planning to work on the Queen this weekend as usual. We are skipping a family reunion in Kentucky (my side) and a wedding (my sister's boyfriend of 8 years brother's wedding - my side too I guess) to work on the Queen. My little sister will be in town for the wedding, so it'll be nice seeing her for the first time in over a year.

I'll probably spend the weekend hanging salvaged wallboards in our pantry and laundry room. Using salvaged wall boards has been a lot more of a challenge than the salvaged wood floors. The big nails are easy enough to get out of them, but the wallpaper tacks are a nightmare.

There are about 50-100 tacks on average in a 4-5 foot long board. We're leaving most of them in the wood for now. Unless they're where I need to cut the board or if they are trailing a huge wad of 60 year old wallpaper canvas, I leave them alone. If (or when) we have time, we'll go back and pull them all out. So far the best tool for pulling them has been a mini (6 inch long) pry-bar. I use a small hammer or something similar to tap the pry-bar under the tack's head and pull. Pulling them out is easy, its getting the pry-bar under the head without gouging the wood that is hard.

My wife will be back in the kitchen scraping paint and pulling staples. It's hard work for her. Patience is virtue she tries to practice but it doesn't come easy for her. Fortunately, she is very excited about getting to paint the kitchen. I think that will get her through it all.

Wish us luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter