The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Wall Diagram

Diagram of the wall dividing the kitchen and dining room.

It was interesting to see the bare bones of this wall once we'd stripped the wallboards from both sides. One 2x4 had cracked completely in half (the double-stud on the far right), and all the framing had a slight lean to the left. It was probably off by a couple of degrees, off just enough for your eyes to notice. The original doorway between the kitchen and dining room didn't have a header (typical with the house so far). The stud directly under the ridge-board of the roof (and the 2x6 that supports it) had been cut in half when they installed a wood-cookstove in the kitchen 80 some-odd years ago. Two short "floater" studs had been sandwiched into the wall so they'd have something to nail the wall boards to.

We've spent two days reframing and reinforcing the wall. I just started rehanging all the wallboards Sunday. The heat has been atrocious, hovering at just below 100 degrees in the afternoon. It makes for a short and gruelling work day. I had to quit at 1:30 PM even though I'd only been working for five hours.

I can hardly wait until August.
Posted by Hello


Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter