The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Picture Post Card of our Current Struggle

I should probably be doing something else, but here are some pictures I took last night.

First, here is the interior of my son’s closet. It was in pretty bad shape, so there wasn’t much to salvage or restore except the low beadboard ceiling which we’ve left. Kenny used some wood left over from all of our cabinets.

Second, we have photos of our nearly primed (two coat) master bedroom ceiling. Sadly, it just looks like a less flaky version of the original ceiling.



Third, we have the arched doorway from the kitchen to the back edition. Kenny finally trimmed it out which was a tricky job.



Fourth, we have the ever growing stack of cabinet doors for the living room built-ins. Once he’s finished with building them all, Kenny is going to take them to a cabinet factory in Pottsville (15 minutes away) to have them fit with "invisible" hinges.


And, that is pretty much it aside from the new thresholds for the front and back doors (sorry no pictures). Until we get moved out of our current house, the Devil Queen will be on our back burner for now.

I’ve scrounged up about 6 good sized boxes for our move which means I’ll only need 25-30 more. Guess what I’m doing tonight?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liquor stores are great places to get boxes, usually. The boxes are small but very sturdy and perfect for books and things.

12:41 PM  
Blogger John said...

You read my mind. Might have to get some other things while I'm there too.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

It’s really coming along nicely. Man, all that bead board is incredible. That would cost a fortune to duplicate today. It is so great that you saved it.

7:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks. The beadboard is one of my favorite features. There is something so satisfying about all that old wood.

As for the "good" liquor store destroyed by the tornado, the Lord works in mysterious ways. It has risen from them dead, bigger and better than before. The owner got a huge check from the insurance company, and built a new store about 4 times bigger than the original one. It openned two or three weeks ago.

They burn their boxes and keep them in a wire "cage" until its time to burn them. So, no crawling into a messy dumpster. Filled my car up yesterday, and I'll be back tonight too.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter