The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, July 01, 2005

Weekend Game Plan

I'm pretty sure that nothing much will get done on the Devil Queen this weekend.

Apparently this year is the year of the wedding. My wife is going to another cousin's wedding this weekend. Mercifully, I don't have to go. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that I'll get to work on the Queen. I'll be spending most (all?) of Saturday finishing a mural in Atkins.

We traded the mural for some tile work. The mural should have been finished a couple of months ago, but I've been putting it off in favor of working on the Queen. Our tile guy is getting a little peeved with our lack of progress. I hate to admit it, but he's in the right on this one. To be honest, I prefer working on the Queen. I'll have to bite the bullet and just finish the damn thing.

Sunday and Monday my wife and I will go into hiding to celebrate our anniversary. The Queen, in all her decrepit splendor, will have to wait.

I've been doing some research on passive cooling and air flow in older homes (hopefully to be posted soon). The old timers here in the South favored facing their homes to the southern exposure for cooling/heating purposes. Without knowing this, we did this when we had the Queen moved to her new site.

I say "we" but it was my wife that oversaw this portion of the project. I asked her why she sited the house as she did, and she said, "I had a dream about it one night, so that is how I did it. It was close to the creek and seemed to catch the breeze. It seemed right."

And, it was.

1 Comments:

Blogger merideth said...

congratulations on your anniversary! it sounds like a great reason to take a break from working...btw, nice job to your wife on siting the house...i love that she dreamed it

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter