The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, August 22, 2005

Slouching Onward

The Devil Queen has been moving forward in slow motion. Last weekend our biggest problem was the heat. It was 100 degrees out and that was without the heat index. Pretty abysmal. We started the kitchen floor, but didn't get too far. For once, I really don't care. If we'd worked any harder, we'd be in the ER with heat stroke. The best part of working on the Queen last weekend was taking a break and listening to Charlie tell stories about his time in the Army in the 1950's - 1960's.

Starting the kitchen floor was difficult because the rear wall of the kitchen is bowed. The center of the wall is 3/4 of an inch further back than its two corners. We entertained ourselves by scribing and cutting a 13 ft long floor board to match the wall. Once we got this finished, things moved faster. The floor is looking good, and, to the naked eye, it appears to be running in even rows. When measured, however, one end appears to be nearly an inch ahead of the other. I haven't done all of the measurements to check this, but I suspect that the kitchen's four corners don't square up. Fortunately, I don't think that this will effect the final product too much.

Our contractor came out and fixed our leaky porch last week. If I understand this correctly (All my information is second hand), when his crew built the porch roof they tore some of the tarpaper and shingles. This left a gap a couple inches wide in the roof. He patched it and it should be 100% cured. We'll have to wait till the next big rain to see.

Entergy still has not hooked our power up. Three weeks ago they told us they'd be out in seven to ten days. My wife called them yesterday and asked when they'd be out. In short, their answer was we'll get there whenever we get there. I take this to mean that they know they're the only electric company in our area so providing prompt service isn't really an issue for them. I'd can't say that I'm surprised. If nothing else, they have always been consistent.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Argh, I can imagine how hot and humid that day had to be. We've had to put some of our exterior work on hold because of it also. It isn't worth getting sick over.

I would love to see a picture of the kitchen floor when you are finished. I bet it looks great!

How ridiculous is that power company? I can't believe they haven't been out there yet! That is so wrong! I hope they show up soon!

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter