The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, October 14, 2005

Fan Mail

The last couple of weeks I've been preoccupied with our precarious financial situation, and I haven't check my email since the first of the month. Today I was pleasantly surprised to find a goody in my mailbox. It read:

Hey--I'm Brenda, from Brooklyn, and I totally love 'Devil Queen' and just gave you a great plug and link in my month-old quasi-houseblog,
http://www.crazystable.squarespace.com/

Of course, I'm only getting about 10 hits a day, but think of the honor!
Good luck with your stuff,

blb

At first I was suspicious. Had the comment-spammers found a way into my email? Curious, I checked out the link. Nothing nefarious (further strengthening my wife's argument that I'm paranoid), and I was very please to find that it was a great plug. What can I say? Not only am I paranoid, but I am vain as well.

I recommend that you check it out. The house's back story is as wild as they come. The most recent previous residents/owner were 20 some-odd Chinese immigrants and their landlord, "General Chang."

Truth is stranger than fiction.


As for the weekend, I have a hot date tomorrow morning with Charlie the Plumbing God. I think we're gonna kick the kitchen sink's ass and finish running the last of the waterline to the laundry/back-bathroom. If I'm feeling frisky, I may try setting up one of our on-demand, electric hot water heaters. I'm curious to see how well (or if) the thing works. Aside from that, I'm just expecting more of the usual home-renovation cruelty.

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

General Chang? Sounds interesting. Must check it out.

And who wouldn't love the Devil Queen? :)

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter