The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Onward

There are a dozen things I ought to be doing now, but I can't help myself. The Queen beckons.

Kenny is making good progress on the Queen this week. He's finished repairing the main hall and foyer, the crawlspace has two proper doors (hinges, handles, etc), and he began working on the pantry/laundry/bathroom addition behind the kitchen. The bad news is we have a lot less salvaged wallboard than I'd hoped. The good news is we have enough to finish the pantry, and we also have a lot more beadboard than I thought.

I'm definitely going to keep him on through next week, but I'm not sure if I'll keep him the week after that. First, money is an issue. I'm going to really have to scrounge to keep him for that extra week. Second, I'm not sure what exactly I'll have him do. Really, that is entirely contingent on how much he finishes by the 10th.

On the other hand, if I keep him that extra week, nearly every major carpentry project will be finished. Not all of them, but close enough to make me feel giddy. With the exception of the fireplace mess, re-facing a dining room wall with wall boards, and a few smaller projects, our Devil Queen work routine will be: strip, scrub, sand, prime, paint, and repeat. This is exciting because these are the kind of projects I'm actually sort of good at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter