The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My Lucky Day

I’m having serious anger management problems this morning. My wife just called to say that the Devil Queen was robbed last night. Kenny just called her a few minutes ago. He said that the compressor (on loan from Jack), the table saw (on loan from my dad), and my miter saw are gone. My wife is going up there now to see if anything else is missing.

Sadly, we’re hoping it’s just the tools. While they tools cost a small fortune, the old house stuff (hardware, doors, etc) is irreplaceable.

Kenny asked around and a neighbor said they’d seen a white Dodge pick-up cruising the neighborhood lately. Boy, that narrows it down. Personally, we think that it is someone that knows us or about the house. They’ve spent enough scoping it out to know when no one would be around.

Aside from being angry because the stuff was stolen, I’m really angry because there is nothing that we can do about it. We don’t know who did it for sure and we probably won’t. While I’ve been a basically powerless individual for all my days, I still don’t like it. I've never liked it. Nothing infuriates me more than loosing the illusion of control. Would that be a sin of pride?

In any case, I hope that everything between their legs rots off after a very, very long illness starting today.

And, may they reap what they sow sevenfold.

9 Comments:

Blogger StuccoHouse said...

If you have any pawn shops int he city, you might give them a call and tell them to call you if they see those items.

8:15 AM  
Blogger John said...

Great idea. My wife was planning to after she took an inventory of everything that was missing.

Thanks for the help.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Someone tried to break in to our house the other day. It's such a terrible feeling. We're lucky something scared them off, since they broke the basement window wide open.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house I'm working on has been broken into twice. The first time they had gone in through a window, took all of my tools........exited out the garage, they were nice enough to close the window before they left.....the second time they came in through the garage and busted in the door to the house and then into the kitchen. The frames to the doors were the only thing broken. They stole nothing, since I had resorted to carting my new tools back and forth with me. I hate the feeling of being watched. I know the first time they had watched, and they knew when to strike. Funny though, throughout the whole summer while working on the house, the windows had been open to cool it off, and at one point there was only plywood up where the front door was. It was the second week I had locked up all the windows and doors that this happened, go figure.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrible. Just terrible. Tarr sends a little $ to assuage the awfulness. See paypal.

12:07 PM  
Blogger C&C said...

So sorry to hear about that, it's awful. Will your homeowner's insurance cover any of it? Good luck, hope it doesn't happen again.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa Jo Perdue said...

I read your blog because...well I guess because I love my old house and like to read about other folks that like old houses. Even tho they are killing us. I just had to say I am so sorry about the robbery. Hang in there. Maybe they inhaled some airborne asbestos while they were stealing...

3:25 PM  
Blogger K said...

That makes me furious! I hate thieves! Do you ever watch that show Flip This House? Once, someone stole stuff from their job site two days in a row. After that, the owners staked the place out and ran off the thief.

8:30 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Sorry to hear about. Notifying the local pawn shops is a good idea. I would also check them out for replacement tools. A lot of times down-on-their luck contractors sell their tools to pawn shops, so you can get replacement stuff for a decent price. Other places I have gotten a good deal on tools is CraigsList and HarborFreight.

Unfortunately, this stuff happens too often. My dad was a contractor and he had a lot of stolen from his job sites and shop. There should be a special circle in hell for tool thieves.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter