The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, April 28, 2006

Blue Wood II

The question of the blue wood is still vexing us, so I did some research at my wife’s urging. I discovered a couple of things about blue wood.

First, Fidge was correct in thinking that it was a mold, sort of. According to what I found online, the blue is caused by a fungus not a mold. I’m lacking in botanical skills and have no idea what the exact difference between a mold & fungus are. They are both filed in the same categories in my mind: things that you shouldn’t eat on food (unless it is a French cheese), or things to be killed with bleach before you paint.

What causes the bluing fungus? “As with other pines, Ponderosa can be subject to blue stain if a felled tree or green lumber becomes too warm before it is dried.” (from Western Wood Products Association’s Ponderosa Pine Species Facts, August 1995)

There seems to be some controversy as to whether the bluing compromises the strength of the wood. Who is right? I have not a clue.

As per some of the comments about the blue wood, the wood bleach sounds like a good idea to me but it is too late. My mother-in-law is not a patient woman. She’s already started staining the floor. I’m not sure what concoction she is using but it looks good so far. I’ll try to get some pictures and details over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter