The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Backlogged

It’s official. I’m a backlogged blogging slacker. Last night my wife told me she was disappointed with the few, paltry post I’d left.

Lord, I have no idea where to begin. Mercifully, I’m nearly finished with my web design class. All I have to finish is my final project and that is it. It’s been very informative, but keeping up with it has been a real pain. If I decide to take part two, it definitely won’t be until the fall term. I’m taking the summer off.

Nothing happened at the Queen over the last week. Kenny, as will be explained later, was working on another job, and he should be coming back to work for us in another day or two (fingers crossed). Sunday, Jack and I met up at the Queen and dragged the claw foot tub out of the yard and put it in the master bathroom. It’s not hooked up yet, but it’s ready to be.

My wife and I took a much needed and much too short vacation over the weekend. Since we went to Eureka Springs (one of the, if not the largest historic district in the US), you’ll be hearing more about that. If I weren’t lazy (haven’t down loaded the pictures) and hadn’t let my wife have the camera today, you’d be hearing about it now.

We’re feeling anxious about the Queen and the lack of meaningful progress. We were supposed to have working plumbing by now, but we are at least two weeks behind schedule. Our current things-to-do list includes: buying a toilet for the master bathroom, making sure the claw foot tub’s faucet has working gaskets & reassembling the faucet, hooking up the claw foot tub, finished the plumbing, trying to decide how or if we’ll re-plumb the master bathroom for wall faucets v. counter top faucets, making a mile long list of other things-to-do for Kenny, wiring the septic tank pump, and God knows what else. Is your eye twitching yet? Mine is.


On a slightly different note, it seems I’ve found my place in the Houseblogging neighborhood. It would seem that I am the crazy street-person of houseblogs, and I am totally cool with that. Since I’m one of the crazy street-people in most social situations, it’s like coming home.

So, why did I decide this? It was the confluence of several comments in the last 24 hours that sparked this epiphany. First, there is this post by Gary which is in reference to comments that I left here and here. Starting to make sense?

And, then there is the email that I received from Expatriate Aaron yesterday. It is still cracking me up (my wife thought it was pretty funny too), so here are a few excerpts:

“We would never be brave (crazy? I’m too polite to say) enough to sink every last dime we had into anything, much less a project like you have. . . When we get back, we’ll be buying our first home. I’ve romanticized for years about DIY projects on a “fixer upper.” However, after reading your posts, I’ve got new respect for that word. What I’ve envisioned would be the equivalent of taking a few exploratory puffs of some wacky weed. You my friend have tied off your arm with that leather belt you always forget to put on, and have mainlined Afghani black tar heroin right into your aorta.”

As far as I’m concerned, it’s official. I’m Crazy John of the Devil Queen.

5 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I don't think your THAT crazy. How many cats do you have?

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you counted the "euphemisms" for crazy used by people in your life? The most common one is "brave." It's sane-person-with-money lingo for "doomed idiot."

cheers from the, er, CrazyStable...

9:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

Ninja,

Cats? Funny you should ask (see the next post).

Currently, we have one cat. The most we've ever had is four and that didn't last long. Our running average has been two since we've been married.

Brenda,

You just made me think of one of my mother-in-laws' sayings. "You know what the difference between crazy and eccentric is? Eccentric is name for a crazy person with money."

10:42 AM  
Blogger dandyapple said...

Oh John, I can't wait for your Eureka Springs post. This time of year (as well as fall) really make me antsy to visit ES. Hubby and I have been 6 or 7 times in the 9 years we have been together. The couple of times we have gone somewhere else on a trip, we end up wishing we had just gone to ES. I hope you guys had a wonderful time, and I can't wait to see the pics.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can feel good about this--the aorta isn't in your arm.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter