The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, April 14, 2006

Second Coat

I made it up to the Queen again last night and put down the second coat of polyurethane. This wood floor is a thirsty beast. It sucked up so much of the first coat that we’re wondering if we might have to put a fourth coat on to give it the kind of gloss we want. I guess we’ll see how well the second coat dried tonight.

Here is the bathroom floor before we sanded, stained, and sealed it with two coats of poly.

Here is the floor after the second coat.


And, here is the stain and polyurethane we’re using. The stain is Golden Pecan incase you're wondering.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are you going to buff your poly-ed floors with steel wool and then add paste wax? I still don't know how I feel about what is the best floor system. Shellac and wax, or poly. Then I heard of folks using wax on top of poly, which sounds interesting, but surely it screws something up later. (Like not being able to re-coat without stripping the whole dang thing of the wax!)

9:20 PM  
Blogger John said...

My wife and I had a similar conversation over the weekend. I think I was caught up in the idea of an extra shiny floor, but my wife as suspicious about it. She read something about a wax/poly issue, so we're not waxing yet. I still may try out the angle grinder along the walls instead of an edger though.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, either way you have a beautiful floor there! I think I used a belt sander along my walls to edge with...but that was many years ago. The hardest part about re-finishing a floor is that first scratch, or pet stain, or whatever...then you relax and forget about it and get on with life!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. We did our hardwood floors (all at once) and it hurt. Keep up the great work. We ended up going with a semi-gloss to try to hide the scratches a little.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job! Buffing would add just a bit more shine but the floors have definitely come a long way.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter