The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Few Small Projects

Here are a few pictures of some of the side projects. First, we have the vanity for the master bathroom sinks. I filled the nail holes with wood putty and sanded it down. My wife then put two coats of primer over it. The next step will be me drawing a bunch of sunflowers on it and marking the cut-outs for the drains and faucets. Then we'll paint the sun flowers, seal it with four or five coats of polyurethane, and mount the sinks. Since we still don't have a finished bathroom to put it in, it is on the back burner for now.


This weekend we pulled the two old faucets and the remenants of the drain trap off the mudroom sink to take them to Lowe's for spare/replacement parts. The trap looks like it was installed in the 1970's and it is completely rusted out. The faucets are original and in working order but probably need new gaskets. They also have odd sized threaded nipples so we'll need special water feeds or adaptors. And, here is a picture of the hair line crack near the drain. We don't know how deep it is, but we're going to patch it with JB Weld just to be safe.


And here is the master bedroom ceiling after I finished caulking it. It went a lot faster than the kitchen ceiling. About a third of the ceiling boards in the kitchen fell after the move et cetera. It took a lot of work and caulk to make it look right. The kitchen ceiling needed a case of caulk (24 tubes) while the master bedroom only needed 8 tubes.



3 Comments:

Blogger JLynnette said...

You guys are really cooking along. You'll be moved in before you know it.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

Ignorant question: what is the caulk for? Plugging up holes in the beadboard or sealing all the joints? The Victorian we'd like to buy had what looked like packing tape over some of the beadboard on the second floor ceiling, and I'm kind of curious if that was lazy man's caulk!

8:23 AM  
Blogger John said...

Lenise, not a bad question at all.

Once upon a time when the Devil Queen was new, all the tongue-in-groove ceiling boards fit snuggly together. No caulk was needed since they were new, perfect boards.

Since that day 116 years ago, the house has settled, been cut in half, rained on without a roof, and moved. The ceiling boards did not fair well. Some sagged, some migrated, and a few simply feel to the floor.

All of this can be fixed, but they are never quite the same afterward. First, we repaired the ceiling. Second, we scraped all the old paint off. Third we preped and primed it. Once that was finished, you could plainly see the gaps, nail holes, and crack in and in-between the boards (somewhere a couple of weeks ago there are some pictures of the precaulked ceiling).

To make the ceiling look smooth and nearly seamless, we used a white, paintable silicone based caulk. We use our fingers and a lot of wet rags to smooth/remove the excess off. Then it is ready to paint.

I hope that answers your question. If you want more inforamtion, let me know.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter