The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, June 19, 2006

Doom

The Devil Queen was fine as of 5:45 AM this morning, but I’m waiting for the sky to fall.

It’s been a day of ill omen for reasons I can hardly explain. The first thing I did when I left the house today was break my shoelace. It struck me as a being particularly unlucky. Why? I don’t know.

Then, on my way to stop by the Devil Queen before I went to work, I hit something in the road. I’m not sure what it was since it was dark and it was gray, but I think it was a small owl or some other bird of prey. According to some Cherokee I spoke with, birds are messengers. According to some, owls are harbingers of eminent death (yours or some close to you). Now, I’ve seen more than a few owls in my life, and no one has died. However, it just seemed like yet another bad thing to start your day with. Whatever it was, it bounced off the top of my windshield and vanished. I’m hoping this means I didn’t hurt it, but birds are fragile. The odds are against the little bastard.

Everything has been a struggle to day. Computers crash, things get lost, every simple, routine thing has become difficult. So, as any nominally rational person, I’m waiting for my doom. In the mean time, I’m day dreaming about having some good Mexican food for dinner. Now, if I can just live long enough to eat it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Jo said...

Have you checked your back in a mirror lately? I kind of get this feeling you have a big bull's eye back there and nobody's telling you.

8:17 PM  
Blogger John said...

I checked, you're right. I'm a marked man. Now, all I have to do is get it off somehow . . .

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter