The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

DIY Ubermenschen


“[T]he strongest find their happiness where others meet with their ruin; in the labyrinth, in hardness towards themselves and others, in endeavour; their delight is self-mastery: with them asceticism becomes a second nature, a need, an instinct. They regard a difficult task as their privilege; to play burdens which crush their fellows is to them a recreation.”*

I bet all the eggheads in academia still haven’t figured out that Nietzsche was really writing about DIY Housebloggers; the man was truly ahead of his time.

Also, according to Nietzsche, all the masses of mediocre, sub-par track housing serves an essential purpose; it makes the rest of us look good by comparison. Okay, maybe I paraphrasing that a little too much; I think it actually makes us some sort of aristocratic elite. Okay, maybe I’m still paraphrasing, but I’m pretty sure that both “aristocratic” and “elite” appear somewhere in the text.

Did I mention that my wife says arrogance is one of my flaws?

Anyhow, the next time you find yourself facing cataclysmic foundation failure, five or six figures of debt, wood rot, termites, code violations, and whatever other visitor from the myriad world of home disasters, remember that playing with burdens which crush others is a recreation. I am sure that will make you feel better. Come on, repeat after me, “recreation.” See, don’t you feel empowered already? I know I do: Today the Devil Queen, tomorrow the world!

* Friedrich Nietzsche, The Antichrist

2 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

Though I can't say I'm much of a Nietzsche fan, I'll readily concede that y'all are better "men" than I am!!

8:08 AM  
Blogger John said...

You'll have that. Nietzsche is like raw oysters, he's definately not for everyone.

I can't say I'm a fan of his per se, but he just happens to be what I'm reading now. I stumbled across him while working on my undergrad thesis and I haven't quite finished with him yet.

Thanks for the compliment, but I can't help but think that we compensate for our stupidity with lots of hard, suck-ass work.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter