The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, September 22, 2006

Drag

First, I’d like to say hello to everyone who’s visited The Devil Queen thanks to the AP story (most seem to have found it via CNN.com). I hope you enjoy the sawdust and melodrama.

Second, I’d like to thank everyone for the costume ideas. I’m still mulling them over, so I haven’t made a final decision yet. Ben’s home improvement accident costume has considerable appeal because everything I need is on hand; on the other hand, half of the time I look like that anyhow, so does it still qualify as a costume?

Merideth & an anonymous commenter suggested going in drag as the Devil Queen. This is a great idea, but I’m a little ambivalent about it. No, it has nothing to do with my frail male ego. One, I have high standards (to be explained below), and I know that I would make a spectacularly ugly woman. I guess I'm just vain. Two, I’m worried that my wife might enjoy it too much.

Now, what do I mean by "high standards" when it comes to cross-dressing?

I spent my four years as an undergraduate at Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas. Hendrix is a private college known for two things, rigorous academics and a safe haven for freaks of every sort. Once a year, Hendrix had its Ms. Hendrix pageant, the proceeds from which were donated to a charity (I forget which one).

This was no regular pageant, since all the contestants were traditionally guys in drag. With most of the contestants, it was pretty obvious that they were men. Little things like the chest hair and the 12 o’clock shadow were dead give away. However, my junior year there was one guy who not only looked like a woman, but a beautiful woman.

Pretty well everyone at Hendrix knew who it was, but his performance seriously disturbed the sexuality of several male “visitors” (really, they were there to crash the party because that is what dumbasses from a sub-par school do) from a local state university; they didn’t know it was a man until after the show. Afterwards, I’m sure they had some uncomfortable moments in their dark little heart of hearts.

If I do drag, I'd want to look good but I think carnival freak is as good as it gets for me. Really, since it's Halloween, it doesn't matter. If they can't tell what I'm supposed to be, I'll just tell them I'm a zombie.

Anyhow, I’ll think about it over the weekend and see if I come to any decisions.

As for working on the Devil Queen, I won’t even bother to temp the fates by listing off everything I’m planning to do. If the last two weeks are any indication, I’m doomed to failure. My wife is working part of Saturday; she’s reporting on a pagan festival in Russellville. No, really. And, my mom will be visiting too. She’s offered to paint, but I suspect she’ll be pretty involved with her grandson.

Anyhow, have a good weekend. If you get bored, come over and paint my house. We have liquor.

3 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Holy crap, when were you at Hendrix? I'm guessing you might know some of my friends from North Little Rock that went there...

12:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

1994-1998 and my wife was still there until 1999.

1:24 PM  
Blogger merideth said...

at my high school in Memphis, there was a drag beauty contest every year called Ms. Take...one year we also had a guy who just made a really pretty girl...awesome!

good luck on your halloween costume! :)

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter