The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Thanks and I Need a Car

First, thanks to everyone who left comments regarding Saving Places. My wife and I are mulling over your advice/questions, and we will be posting soon.

Second, my Saturn lost second gear Friday. If my prior experience with this phenomenon holds true, I will be lucky to get another 10,000 miles before the next gear goes. Since the Saturn has 262,000 miles at this point (the current transmission has 210,000 +/-), I don't see much point in pouring more money into it.

So, if any of you have something like a 1990 VW Fox with 150,000 miles that still runs for about $1500, let me know.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lenise said...

You can have our '95 Saturn for $1k. It's got 180,000 miles and leaks oil like a sieve. We'd even replace the battery for you, and maybe even the rear brakes. Other than that, there's just a minor tx-mission problem, but it only kicks in when the car's hot and you shift into R. I'm sure you're tempted now!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Click and Clack, 2nd gear is over-rated!!! In fact I've heard them suggest you only really need 2 or 3 gears at most to get by. The rest are just a luxury :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger John said...

Lenise,
I'm not sure if your transmission sounds better or worse than mine...

Kurt,
They are correct. I could probably get by with 1st, 3rd, and 5th. I drove the old transmission with only 3rd-5th for a couple of months without too much trouble. When third started to go I had to get it fixed. It's too friggin' hard to start in 4th on a steep incline!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a great car that is surplus and great fun to drive. 54k miles. Infiniti Convertible. $4500. Push button makes top go up and down.

2:39 PM  
Blogger John said...

Tarr,

How's the gas mileage? Anywhere close to 35-40+ miles per gallon?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Lenise said...

It might be, but it hasn't really changed in 100,000 miles, so we don't worry too much about it. It was the imminent (?) failure of the brakes that led us to park the car, which led to the dead battery.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Tarr said...

The infiniti gets about 5 tanks a year since I don't drive it often. It is majorly fun to drive on windy mountainous roads. Don't have a clue what the mpg is, though.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a VW Fox (called Polo Fox here) for a couple hundred, but it has probably 250,000+ on it. (Odometer only goes to 99,999.
Problem is you'd have to pick it up in Germany. But it runs - if you don't mind the oil buzzer going off all the time. It's actually a good car.

1:49 AM  
Blogger John said...

Germany?! I'd love to have an excuse to go back to Germany. Somehow I don't think it would be as cost effective as I'd like for it to be.

Once upon a time, we had a Fox. It had some of the same problems that you mentioned. The odometer gave out around 150,000 miles, the speedometer went nuts, and what not. However, the damn car was nearly indestructable. The only time it ever left us anywhere was because it had dirty spark plugs.

We were young and broke so we sold it several years back, and we've regretted it ever since.

We were going to buy it back from the guy, but he'd totalled it before we got back to him.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got an air mattress. :D

I should have kept my mouth shut yesterday. After work I'd left the blinker on and the battery was dead, no problem as I live downhill from work. Done that often enough. Got her running but at the bottom of the hill she stalled again and I had to push her 'round to a friends house.
But still I stand by 'my girl'.

5:07 AM  
Blogger John said...

Be careful, one of these days we may take you up on it. We've been know to show up at 2 AM at the most unlikely of times.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter