The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Courting Disaster, Because I'm Too Lazy (Stupid?) to Have it Any Other Way

As has became our habit, we are installing yet another plumbing fixture just hours before a horde of folks descends upon the Devil Queen. Tomorrow we are having 20+ people over for Thanksgiving. Fortunately, my wife's family takes a potluck approach to the holiday, so I'm not actually expected to cook enough food for everyone.

Therefore, my mission tonight is plumbing a sink in the hall bathroom. This should be incredibly straight forward and, in theory, easy which is why I'm extremely nervous. Nothing is ever easy. I have the sink (pedestal), the two feed lines, the drain, the faucet, etc. And, I've tried all the connections (the feeds fit the faucet, etc) except one; that is my weak link. I swear that the drain pipe sticking out of the floor is 1 1/2 inch. I've measured it with the tape measure, I've held the 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 adaptor up next to the pipe, but I haven't actually dry fitted the adaptor on the pipe. Why?

The short answer is I'm lazy. Other excuses? The drain is connected directly to one of the two main sewer lines; to keep the Devil Queen from smelling like week-old farts and us from dying of sewer gas inhalation, we have the drain thoroughly plugged. To test the fitting, I'd have to strip it all off. And, I'm 99.5% sure that it is an 1 1/2 inch pipe.

So, that is what I'll be doing tonight.

For my encore performance, I'll be wiring the over-sink lighting too.

And, instead of shopping like a crazy person, I plan to spend most of the long holiday at home painting. Or prepping. Or prepping and painting. I've got 3-4 gallons of primer and two cases of caulk, so I think I'll make it through the weekend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!! I'm sure the sink will be fine. Every now and then, something's gotta be easy, right?

-Lenise

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering all the amazing things you have accomplished with the Devil Queen this should be a piece of cake. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Susan

7:51 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks, and I hope your Thanksgivings were good too.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter