The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, April 02, 2007

The Sands of Time

The passage of time has taken on the grim visage of Chinese water torture, each minute another drop pounding away on my brow. I believe we have 35 days to "finish," and I think we can pull it off with a little help from our friends. I won't kid you or myself, it's not going to be pretty.

The grueling schedule I've been keeping at the day job should be winding down this week. I think I'll celebrate by taking some vacation time to work myself half to death on the Devil Queen.

I didn't think to take any pictures over the weekend, so the following is a sketch of post and pictures yet to come.

The weekend was a mixed bag of success and disappointment. The washing machine is almost installed. The light fixture for hall bath was a disaster - it disintegrated while being installed through no fault of our own, but that is another story. In short, I will be taking it back to Lowe's with my receipt this week. Friday night I lost it. I stayed up until 3 AM scraping paint, hanging the laundry room door (I had to "trim" the jamb with some vigorous chiseling & what not), painting doors, and cleaning house.

I also got to try out my new miter box & hand saw. I love it. Now, I sit on the couch obsessing about scribing, mitering, and coping my trim.

Tonight, after work, I plan to slip into semi-psychotic state and go nuts on the Devil Queen like Cuchullainn in one of his battle-frenzies. I hope to finish the living room ceiling, do some paint prep, finish painting Gideon's closet door, mount the lockset on the laundry room door, finish the quarter-round trim in the laundry room, and prepare to scrape the hall ceiling. That ought to be enough for tonight, right?

Anyhow, enough for now. Hopefully, more tomorrow.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

I'm tired from just reading - a) the schedule you have been keeping - b) the schedule you have planned - c) the DQ is a demanding girl and I suspect she will never feel she is 'gowned in glory' as she thinks is fitting for her personality.
Good luck!

12:37 PM  
Blogger the reluctant remodeler said...

I wish you luck on your cattle raid.

rr

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all rootin' for you!

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I wish there was someway we could come down and help. Amanda and I wish you the best of luck.

In the words of Rob Schneider in Waterboy "You can do it!"

11:09 AM  
Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

John,
I will be thinking of you during the countdown. I wish Chris and I were to lend a helping hand. I am useless but could tell funny stories and burn toast. And Chris...well he could definitely do the job of several.

Anyway, wishing you lots of baraka, as we say here.

10:48 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks everyone!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter