The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, March 16, 2007

Doldrums & Doubt for the Weekend

Maybe the weeks just catching up with me. I feel like some bull bled out in an abattoir, motionless and warm waiting at that last black door.

The rain and humidity foiled my schedule last night. I'd planned to put down a layer of poly on the laundry room floor, but it was tacky in a few places so I let it be. I managed to do a few things, but none of them satisfied my need for progress.

So, what did I do? I caulked the window trim in Gideon's room, caulked some of the hall wainscoting, put three coats of primer on the laundry room door, and re-glazed the window glass in the front door. That last item was . . . interesting. I didn't much care for it to be honest. I didn't break the glass and it doesn't look like complete ass, but it's nothing to brag about either.

As I stumbled to bed, I was over come with my moment of doubt for the week.

Here is the to-do list I try not to think about too much:

1) Main hall: paint trim & wainscoting; outlet covers; scrape, prime, caulk, paint ceiling; install light fixtures; refinish all doors & install hardware; lay & finish floor; stain & shellac crown molding; install corner trim.
2) Foyer: prime & paint everything; refinish doors; lay & finish floor; install light fixture and switch covers; install corner time.
3) Master bedroom: finish priming (70% complete); paint everything; refinish floor; outlet and switch covers; finish closet and door; install ceiling fan/lights.
4) Front (Bay Window) Bedroom: everything.
5) Gideon's room: paint closet; finish built-in; paint trim; refinish floor; switch and outlet covers.
6) Living Room & Dining Room: everything.
7) Kitchen: finish painting trim and vent hood.
8) Rear Hall: prime & paint.
9) Hall Bath: install light fixture.
10) Master Bath: Paint windows; scrape, prime, paint ceiling; finish & install sink vanity; install lights, switch & outlet covers; install quarter round.
11) Pantry: install window trim, paint door.
12) Laundry: seal floor; install tub faucet; touch-up paint; install quarter round; refinish & install sink; install toilet; install washer & dryer; install light fixtures.
13) Miscellaneous: install miscellaneous fixtures, doors, hardware, trim, etc.

It does seem like a bit much to finish in 52 days, doesn't it?

What I worry about is getting the rear hall (3 walls & ceiling) and the dining room and living room ceilings scraped down so they can be painted. Everything else seems do-able.

There is one small consolation though. However this house fiasco goes for us come May, I will finally get to do something I've been wanting to since 2003.

I will be taking sailing lessons with my wife this June.



Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger C. said...

You can do it!! :)

1:27 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, we certainly need it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Christy ~ Central Air said...

I wish you well with your project list... and welcome aboard, future sailor. You're gonna LOVE IT.

10:21 AM  
Blogger John said...

Christy, thanks! Enjoyed your sailing blog too. What does it say that watching the YouTube video of the race gone wrong made me want to start sailing now?

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter