The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Stained

Finally, the scraping and sanding marathon has ended. I am finished. And, the stain has been rubbed on as well.

Here are a few pictures of the floor after I finished everything (scraping, sanding, vacuuming, and tack clothing).






And here is the floor after one sloppy, wet coat of stain.







And here is a riddle for you. In the picture below, one board has only been sanded, one has been sanded & scraped and the remainder have been scraped with a finish sanding with 120 grit paper. Counting from the top, there are four full boards shown in the picture (1. top board, 2. top-middle board, 3. bottom-middle board, and 4. bottom board). Can you tell a difference?

Once I finish sealing the floor, I'll post some comparison pictures our different floors. They all are made from the same batch of salvaged wood, but one was run through a plainer before it was installed & drum sanded, one was only drum sanded, and one was scraped.
Exciting, I know.






Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The top two look different from each other and they also look different from the bottom two. The bottom two look the same as each other. Hm did that make sense? I have no idea which would be which though because I am not a wood aficionado by any stretch of the imagination.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top - Sand only
Top Mid - Sand & scrape
Bot Mid and
Bottom - Sand, scrape, finish sand

That is just a guess. The finished floor looks beautiful. Is this the master bath?

6:38 AM  
Blogger C. said...

I'm not even going to try and guess but the floor looks amazing!

9:55 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I want appologize for the"quiz." I reread it and found it a bit confusing. To answer y'alls questions:

Julia, yes you made sense.

Kathy, thanks, and this is the laundry room/mud room/ spare bath.

C-A, thanks!

The answers are in a more recent post.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I actually like the top one best...isn't that the least amount of work? Yeah me!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter