The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Living Small

I know that this has become a trendy topic since the economy flushed itself, but I've always been fascinated with the "Living Small" movement. The Devil Queen is the largest home I've ever lived in with its 1850 square feet. You know what? Even with a family of three, it was more than I ever needed or could use.

I saw this little story on CNN today:

"João Pessoa, Brazil

I have lived in a 25-foot sailboat, a 28-foot motor home, a 32-foot sailboat, and now an 800 sq ft apartment. I was happiest with the 25-foot sailboat.

When you have a lot of "stuff" it owns you. You have to care for it, worry about it being lost, stolen, or destroyed, insure it, and maintain it.

When I had very little, I was free to do as I pleased every day. I had a car and could take off to visit friends and relatives whenever I wanted. Being on a boat, if I wanted to sail away for a day or a month, there was nothing to stop me. "




And then there are the folks at Tiny Tumbleweed Houses. Here is another CNN story featuring them. While I'm all for smaller, I think I'd like more than 100 square feet even it was just me living there. Personally, I like the Enesti with it's 681 to 774 square feet depending on the version. Too bad they don't have a version with higher ceilings. I love the Devil Queen's 12 foot ceilings, and while I'd like less floor space, I'd miss those airy heights.





So, has the whole home improvement experience gotten anyone else day dreaming about living in a shoe box?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

I can't say that I've ever wanted to live in a super-tiny space, but living in my old house (~1200 sq ft) has helped me to gain a little perspective on the American obsession with "stuff". In my house, there simply isn't a lot of extra room for nonessentials. Closets are teeny and the bedrooms are small. Our living room smaller than the kitchens in most new construction. Our bathroom has less square footage than a modern closet. But, this house helps me to keep my priorities straight. We can't accumulate a lot of junk because there simply isn't room. New homes seem to breed isolation; there's a separate space for every person or activity. In our house, any activity besides sleeping has to be done in the living room or dining room. It promotes togetherness whether we want it or not!

2:03 PM  
Blogger John said...

Our first house was about that size. It did limit the overflow and was much easier to keep up. Definately miss it now.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Di's comments are really well-written. I have tiny little closets in my house, too, and a serious lack of storage space. It does make me re-think what I "need" versus "want", and I've gotten rid of a bunch of junk I tought I needed since moving in here. From a financial standpoint, with winter coming, I wish I lived in one of those teeny little houses pictured in your post. I think I could afford to heat that.

7:34 PM  
Blogger HPH said...

After 7 years hard time using the laundromat and my clothes picking up strange scents and finding a-b-c chewing gum sticking to my favorite blouse from the dryer, I DEMAND my very own laundry facilities. My 980 sqft 3-bedroom house did provide that!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter