The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Would You Do It Again For A Dollar?

By the way, the Devil Queen ought to be appearing in the press soon (provided my interview was used). Old-House Journal is running a story about $1.00 houses and whether they are a good idea or not. I think it will be in the May/June issue. We'll see.

So, what do you think I told them?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger C&C said...

Hmmm, sounds like it could go either way. It was such an adventure and lesson in life that you are glad you had it or it was such an adventure and lesson in life, you could've done without it. I can't wait to read the article! Congrats!

7:15 PM  
Blogger holly said...

So sorry to hear that you are selling; however, I understand that it is best for your family and no house can replace that. Best of luck to you with the sale and finding a new home.
Please consider a book of some sort - truly your story should be chronicled and if nothing else your children would love to read it one day. Good luck!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger John said...

C & C and Holly, thanks!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John and family,

The whole experience was stupidly hard on you, and I hope the Devil Queen sells for a shitload of money. :(


Meanwhile, here's something to cheer you up. It's an instructional article on how to caulk baseboards. It has to be the funniest reply about cock I've ever read.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/716_How_To_Caulk_Baseboards.shtml


Keep your chin up,
Janine

Ottawa_Emptor

7:31 PM  
Blogger John said...

Ottawa-Emptor, thank you on all counts!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read your posts from beginning to end during the last week...it's kind of like watching a train wreck...You can't look away! But I've never seen an answer to this burning question: Did you always plan to sell the DQ? It seems the answer is YES. But then my question is, why are your color choices so personal?? I don't mean to be rude, but how many gigantic yellow houses do you see in Ark. with purple kichens and orange bathrooms?? Just wondering...

7:56 PM  
Blogger John said...

Anonymous,

An excellent question. I've been thinking about it and decided that it would make for a good post. Hopefully, I'll get that up for you in a couple of days.

8:09 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Good luck. I have thought about selling the fortress also. Before, no one would possibly buy it, but now that it's starting to look like a place that non-crazy people would live, it's tempting to be able to rid myself of all my headaches with a few signatures on a piece of paper.

The real estate market came down a lot in DC (espcially in "up and coming" neighborhoods like mine) but hopefully I have enough sweat equity in there that I will do okay. (If you get paid for all your sweat equity, you may be a rich man soon!).

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter