The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, July 11, 2005

About the Mural

The mural I referred to in the last post is in downtown Atkins, Arkansas. I use the term "downtown" loosely. Atkins has a population of about 2,700, so there isn't too much there.

The mural is 17' x 21' and painted on the side of an antique shop. I agreed to paint the mural for the owner of the shop. In exchange for the mural, he agreed to do all of the tile work in the Devil Queen.

The mural has taken a lot longer to finish than I ever anticipated. I started it in October last year. When it got too cold to paint in late November, I had to quit until spring this year. My work on it has been sporadic; I have trouble prioritizing. Should I work on the Queen or the mural? Technically, working on the mural is working on the house in a round-about way, but I have trouble of convincing myself. I hate not working on the Queen.

On the other hand, there are some perks. In terms of physical exertion, it's a lot easier to paint a mural than reframing a wall or digging ditches. While I was working on the mural Monday, a reporter from the Atkins Chronicle came over an interviewed me. I believe that I may end up in this week's paper. A little ego stroking is always nice.

The mural is a test run for some projects that we've been planning for the Queen. We're considering a mural in the main hallway, a faux wood inlay medallion on the dinning room floor (patterned on a tulip-print wallpaper pattern original to the Queen), and hand painting a tulip pattern "wallpaper" in the living room (also based on one original to the house). There may also be some faux finish marble and gold leaf work too.

In any case, those projects are years off. We need water and electricity first.

If I can ever remember to bring a camera and use it, I'll post a picture of the mural.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter