The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Winds of Change?

Lots of stuff going on in the last 24 hours.

We still haven't gotten our finances straightened out yet. Our kick-ass contractor will be expecting a fat wad of cash tomorrow, and we don't have squat. Our financial fairy-godfather said he'd come through for us, but were starting to get nervous. Last night my wife was suffering from an intense bout of insomnia. She woke up early this morning. She was having a nightmare about being in a house that was in horrible disrepair (it was the Devil Queen, but looked nothing like her), and we were entirely without money. A nightmare or an ill omen? I'd like to think it was a nightmare, but you can never tell what comes bubbling up from the sub-conscious.

I had dinner with my in-laws last night. They have given up on plumbing for the rest of the week. It is just too hot. We've had two or three record highs this week. The normal, average temperature is 85 degrees. It has hit 100 degrees every day since Monday or Tuesday. The heat index was 106 yesterday. It’s the kind of weather that really puts me in the mood for Halloween. They did plumb two of our three bathrooms though. Within a week we may have a fully plumbed house (with a working bathroom?).

Tony is doing a fabulous job on the siding, trim, et cetera. According to my mother-in-law, all the work is stain grade finish-carpentry. She said that the siding is cut close enough that it stays in place without the nails. And, I don't think that we'll have to caulk any of the crown molding on the eves. There are no cracks or gaps. From the ground, it looks utterly seamless.

Tony is worried though. He made us promise not to tell anyone in our part of the world that he worked on our house, "I don't do remodeling work, only new construction!"

My mother-in-law replied, "Don't worry, we'll tell anyone that asks that you're family and it's the only reason you did it."

"Thank God. That would be great," Tony said.

My wife has been bringing Tony and his crew cakes and cookies. She's garnering quite a fan club. It probably doesn't hurt that she jumps up and down and cheers every time she goes up to the Queen to see how its going. According to my mother-in-law, "they look like their heads will split open they're grinnin' so wide."

And, a little bit more good news. My wife just got hired by the Russellville Chronicle as a full-time reporter. They'll be calling later this week to tell her when she can start. She also has a freelance article appearing in Cat Fancy Magazine (and their website too) this month. Now, if we manage to finish the house, maybe we can afford to keep it? And, as icing on the cake, my mother-in-law has volunteered to be a full-time grandma/baby-sitter for us.

Things are looking up, I hope our good fortune (miraculous intervention) stays with us for a while. Like my Dad said over lunch, "Wow. It sounds like you're on roll." I certainly hope so.

3 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

John,
I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you. I've read with concern and sympathy all of your posts about the problems that you've had and I am sure that this is just the beginning of many wonderful developments for you. Good luck!
-Amanda

1:06 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

glad to hear you guys are making some headway, found some help and have some good things happening- you deserve a break after all the troubles. That is too funny that Tony only wants to do new construction- gee I wonder why ;o)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I’m sure you will get through this and be better for it. This will be one of those stories you tell years to come. It is the sort of thing that sets apart an “interesting life” from someone who “just lived”. I'm having an "interesting life" as well.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter