The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Code

Last week I had a comment inquiring about building codes in regard to our air return duct. I'm sorry it took so long to respond, but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to (see The Banana Republic of Arkansas for a partial explanation). It is an excellent question, but I didn't want to tempt the Fates. I hate to air my ignorance too openly.

I'm not feeling lucky, but what the hell.

Arkansas does have building codes. I believe they follow national trends in the most general sense (studs on 16 inch centers, etc). In major Arkansas cities (Little Rock, Fayetteville) or even piss poor pseudo-cities (Russellville), there are permit requirements. However, if you live outside the incorporated city limits, you are generally free of any permit obligations. This is particularly true if you are working on your own home. Having said that, we've striven to meet or exceed code at every opportunity.

There are some exceptions to this. We had to meet specific code specifications for our septic system (perk test), our water system hook-up, and our electrical hook-up. Aside from that, the only other permits we needed were to move the Queen. I don't know what permits were required, our house mover handled all of that.

The general trend in Arkansas is moving towards more government oversight and control of the home construction industry. I'm sure that it is only a matter of time before folks like me out in BFE will be buried under a pile of permits.

I hope that answers the question, and that I don't end up with a bevy of building inspectors on my doorstep (Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they are not after me).

I hoped to post some haunted house stories about the Aycock House in Morrilton, Arkansas, but I don't have any photos of the house or all the stories collected (my in-laws restored the house & have a ton of information on it). I guess permits and codes are a scary (lame) enough substitution.

Happy Halloween anyhow.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Codes are definitely a scary subject for me. Add them to the list of things I just don't want to think about.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ms. P in Jackson said...

I've already had my dose of code enforcement officials for the city of Jackson. Immediately after I bought this house, the city cited me for five pages worth of violations (this house was a 2 unit rental). It really pissed me off because the slumlord who owned it before me took care of nothing, nada, zip. Then, little old me buys it and the city hands me a 5 page laundry list of 'to dos' and all require licensed this or that professional. I was royally disgusted and told them so in court. They dropped everything. I said 'here I am, the person willing to buy the wreck of the century, the blight of the neighborhood, and you have to put my feet to the fire because, god forbid, I decide to live in it and fix it up. Could it be because I'm a single woman? After all, Mr. Molica, an 'investor', was married and he never heard a word from you people'. That stopped it. By the way, the inspector they sent to my house was one of the nicest people I've met and he told me to not worry about anything. He was right. I've been told by a person in the tax assessors office to keep everything I do quiet and to never let the city get wind of anything I'm doing. And this was a city employee!!!!

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter