The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What the F*** Do I Do With This?

(I intended to post this Monday, but I was otherwise occupied for the last couple of days.)

Good news: The heating & air guy came out and installed our entire system.

Bad news: We have this sorry piece of crap in our living room.



What can I say? I'm a fussy little bastard. I think chipboard boxes in the living room look like shit. And, I'm the nice one. My wife is NOT happy. This is an understatement.

We've spent a lot of time talking with our heating & air guy. I almost feel bad for him. According to him, he can't put the return air vent and duct in the front bedroom closet because the sewer line, the plumbing, and the fireplace are in the way. For similar reasons, a floor vent in the living room or the hall are not real options either. This is it.

First, I was in denial. "Sure," I thought to myself, "You can cover this up. Turn it into a nice cabinet or built-in." Now, I'm thinking that there is no way for me to cover-up this monstrous turd.

If man can go to the moon, there has got to be a way for me to get this out of my living room.

(Post Script: There is a way, more to follow)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh?? WTF *is* it?? What sort of return air vent requires a big-ass box like that to house it??

I feel for ya. I really do.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

OMG and I wasn't to thrilled with what our hvac guys did in the basement, they put some of the exhaust intake pipes a little low. that just seems so unnecessary. You'd think they could put the air return anywhere, is it a lack of clearance in the crawlspace? Ours is just one of the bays between the joists.

5:29 PM  
Blogger rock strongo said...

I'm going to go with the first comment of WTF?!?

what exactly is in that box?

7:04 AM  
Blogger John said...

That's the killer of it. The box is empty. That freaking beast is there ensure proper air flow. I can't think of any reason it needs to be that particular size or shape.

I've found that most contractors are short on imagination. It probably never occured to the guy that he should use a different sized box or method since he's probably never had to.

Sigh.

Anyhow, live and learn. It might be a lot of work for me, but at least it is fixable.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter