The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Weekend 156

Sorry for the dead-link on Houseblogs to The Devil Queen yesterday. I had second thoughts about my original post. I've been feeling rather agitated this week, and I decided it showed too well in the post. I was trying for grim humor. Instead, I think I sounded psychotic.

Jack, Charlie, the Mrs., and I all put in a full weekend at the Queen. We finished a lot, but it wasn't much fun. For instance, after four trips to Lowe's, we are still one brass fitting away from completing our plumbing system. At this point, I'm nearly willing to forgo hot water in the kitchen and laundry room. Just cap off that damn water heater line and the hell with it. The fact that I'd probably have to go to Lowe's for 3/4" cap is a real disincentive though.

We have officially given up on our fireplace for the foreseeable future (if ever). After waiting two months for our mason to work us in, we are finished. We can't afford anyone else, so the hell with it. Since we haven't unbundled any of the supplies, Acme Bricks and Rideout are coming to pick everything up for a full refund minus the delivery (de-delivery?) fee. It's probably the best $75.00 I've ever spent.

We're thinking about installing a woodstove instead. Since I've installed these before and they're a lot cheaper, I think this is a great trade off. It also means I can close in the enormous hole in the living room & front bedroom. Any left over money will either go to Julian Electric or for skirting the crawlspace.

Speaking of Julian Electric, I'm glad to say that they have been out to the Queen over the last week. I'd say they are between a third and half of the way finished. At this rate, the Queen may be completely wired (more or less) by the end of November.

I'd love to say that I'm overjoyed, that I can finally see some real progress, et cetera, but I'm just too tired to give much of a crap one way or another. Besides, as sure as God made little green apples, something will go wrong, there will be delays, or we'll be eaten by cannibals.

I'm hoping for the cannibals, they offer closure.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I know exactly what you mean about the plumbing. There are so many freakin little parts and then you have to account for O.D. or I.D., and compression or pipe thread, 1/2 inch, 3/8, or 3/4. Even with a nice neighbor/plumber with a well stocked garage I still make more trips to the hardware store than should be necessary for even the smallest plumbing job.

Oh, and I vote for the psychotic blog entry next time. The people who read regularly will get the humor and the others, well, who cares if they do or not. It’s your blog.

5:06 PM  
Blogger John said...

Good point.

8:07 AM  
Blogger K said...

What an excellent closing line. You are hilarious. I vote for psycho every time. :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Plumbing is horrible for trips to the hardware store. If I wasn't so close to the store, I'd probably over buy everything, and then return it. I'm lucky to have a father in law that likes plumbing. I haven't learned as much as I should have, since he just does it all for me. I picked up a lot more of the electrical.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter