The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, January 13, 2006

Gratuitous Photo and Playing the Floor Sander Lottery


The photo is a view of our main hall after my wife hauled all the trash out of it again. It's a lot easier to maintain your motivation when you can see the floor.

On my way home from work tonight, I 'm going to stop by Lowe's in Conway to see if they have a floor sander for rent. They only have one, and it is available on a first come, first serve basis. You can't reserve it, we tried.

If they do have it, I hope it'll fit in my 1996 Saturn. Think I can make it work if I lay the back seat down and move the mountain of junk I haul around into the front seat. I hate being a packrat at times like these.

Ideally, I'd sand the kitchen, dining room, master bedroom, and both additions. If I actually can manage that is an entirely different question. The master bathroom must be finished so we can move in the clawfoot tub. I think I can handle that. I've never sanded a floor so it should be interesting. I hope I don't break anything including myself.

I'm not sure what will be finished this weekend. My wife has already informed me that she won't be working on the Queen this weekend. She has to work Saturday, so she's taking Sunday. I'll probably work on the Queen Monday since I'm off for M.L.K. Day. As for Sunday, who knows?

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

My husband says to tell you the most important thing is to keep the sander moving at an even speed all the time while it's on (he used to refinish floors on his summers off from college). Good luck!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, raise the drum while its moving.

--Carrie's Husband.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter