The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Kitchen Cabinets

Above, are the kitchen cabinets I mounted over the weekend. It was very anti-climatic. Since they were already positioned where we wanted them, they pretty much look the same after three hours of work. The gap between the two sets of cabinets is for the dishwasher.

When I was finished, I had my wife come and appraise my work.

"Hmmm. They look exactly the same."

"Yeah, I guess they do," I said.

"That's disapointing."

"Try to move them."

My wife tried to move the cabinets. They don't budge in the least.

"Now, that is impressive," she said.

"Isn't it?"

I'm a little concerned about them though. Everything I've read about installing prefab cabinets says you're supposed to shim them until they are perfectly level. Since the walls (vertically) and floor are out of plumb, this was pretty difficult. They are still a hair off, maybe 1/16 of an inch. I'm hoping that I can compensate for this when I start putting the countertop together.

This photo is of the opposite corner. The cabinet on the far left isn't mounted yet (note the how-to books piled on it). The gap between the two will be filled with a stove and a custom built corner cabinet. That ought to be interesting in the worst sense of the word.

1 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

It's looking good. The only thing I would've done differently is I would've hung the wall cabinets first (it's going to be harder to hang them with the base cabinets in the way). You can still hang them after, but I'm all about not making things harder on my already over-worked self.

I don't think 1/16" is a big deal. The countertop will hide some of the discrpancy too.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter