The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

All Jacked Up

I visited the Queen after work last night. It was an impromptu visit, so I didn’t have the camera with me. Sorry.

The master bathroom has wainscoting, the sheet rock has been hung, and all the outlets, switches, and boxes for the light fixtures are in place. It is incredible how much difference sheetrock makes. It looks like a real room, one in which people might live comfortably. What are the odds that would happen to us?

Kenny has also started working on the mudroom/laundry/bathroom. The sheetrock and wainscoting are a little over halfway finished. I imagine that it’ll be finished by the end of the week.

I also suspect that the kitchen cabinets are entering the final stretch. I’m hoping that they’ll be finished by next Monday or Tuesday.

Last weekend we stopped by the Queen with a couple of friends. They hadn’t seen the Queen in over two years. They looked like they’d been struck by lightning. I mean that in a good way.

Their favorite parts of the Queen are the: 12 ft. ceilings, the back porch, and the kitchen (the purple and sand have been a big hit so far).

Another comment that I greatly enjoyed was, “Wow, it’s a lot more solid than the last time [I was here].” I hadn’t really noticed it myself, but he was right. Kenny is responsible for this. Charlie and I have spent a couple days dragging the jack around under the house over the years, but Kenny is the one that deserves the most credit.

About two or three weeks ago, Kenny added something like four new piers under the house and shored up two more. The Queen feels rock solid now. The only thing that was not fixed by this Herculean work was the master bedroom closet. The closet door and the wall it’s mounted in may have sagged a little since we moved the Queen, but, according to Kenny, most of the sagging occurred long before we acquired the Queen. The beam the wall sits upon is permanently warped. Kenny said he tried jacking it, but instead of taking the sag out it raised the whole side of the house. He shored up the pier and set it back down as level as he could get it. He gave the closet door a thorough inspection, and it has been trimmed to fit the crooked door frame by a previous owner. I’m not sure what exactly Kenny did, but the door fits perfectly now even if it’s a little lopsided.

God I love progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger C&C said...

Congrats! So glad it's moving ahead so well and Kenny is back on the job. Sounds like you are making a lot of progress, can't wait to see pics!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love reading your blog John, man I got sick to my stomach reading about your robbery, I hope the police turn up something. I do have a question about your marble tiles for your countertop... how are you handling the finishing of the edges around the counter? I want to do something similar to a bathroom vanity top. Thanks!

5:40 AM  
Blogger John said...

C&C, Thanks! Pictures soon to follow.

Denny,

Thank you too.

We're still debating on what to do for the edge. It'll go one of two ways. 1) Some sort of "hog-nose" trim-tile or, 2) wood trim. I've seen nice examples of each, but we haven't finalized our plans yet.

In the next month or so we should figure it out.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter