The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Marble Tiles and Trim

We'd love to have a counter top like Greg's, but we've had to settle for the next best thing, marble tiles. These tiles are a 12" x 12" so we'll have a lot more tile than grout.

The white tile looks way too bright in this photo. It looks a lot better in person. It'll match all the white trim & base boards when everything is finished.


Kenny has been working on the threshold between the dining room and living room. Originally there was a wall here. The previous owners tore the wall out, did a piss poor job of patching the hole, and then laid carpet over it. Kenny tore out their work and is replacing it with something nicer.





3 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I thought about the same thing with the 12" marble tile. The sides aren't finished though. I thought about adding a wood trim on the sides, but I wasn't sure how it would look. I asked around though, and found out that you can can buff the sides to be as smooth as the face with a high grit sandpaper.

they usually come in styrofoan "boxes" with 5 tiles in each box. If you use a rotary sander thingy, you can open the box and (leaving them in there) buff all 5 at the same time.

Good luck. Take lots of pics!

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you are doing the white tile on the backsplash? Are the walls staying purple beadboard? My advice would be to do a seamless counter material that is cheap-o and inoffensive (like grey formica- gasp!) until you can afford the marble in the form you want- it makes a huge difference with the details like the edges they can put on and the sink details. Some of those marble tile counter jobs can look really bad and distract you from the rest of the kitchen.
Carol

5:27 AM  
Blogger John said...

Ninja,

The idea for the tile counter top came from my mother-in-law's house. She has wood trim for the edges and it looks pretty good. She used little 1 inch tiles though, and I wouldn't recommend that. They are hard to clean and they don't look as good as larger tiles.

Carol,

Thanks for the advice/warning. I went up and looked at the kitchen again after the post and compared it to the pics. The photo didn't look nearly as good as it does in real life (the white's too white, the purple is too blue, and the tile is too washed out). Also, two of the walls are sand colored, so that balances out the purple.

I've seen all sorts of tile counters (used to do appraisals, I've snooped in lots of homes) and I've seen lots of bad and good tile work. The key I think is a good pattern and good instalation. We're hoping that it'll all come together once everything is in place.

Thanks for the comments!

- John

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter