The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Cutting Glass

Gary made mention of a couple glass cutting tips in this post. Does anyone have any additional tips? I have a brand new glass cutter and a small stockpile of 60-70 year old glass I salvaged from a few hopeless sashes. I should have enough glass to repair three panes if I don’t screw up too much of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, my wife may kill me if the mood takes her.

4 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

I had to cut lots of glass as substrates for my research project in graduate school. A couple of tips that helped me out were to either breathe (like you would to clean your eyeglasses, ghetto style) on the score line or sprinkle a little bit of water on it to facilitate the break before you tap. (I never had much luck with the tapping, actually) Also, with a little practice, you can feel it when you get a good score line with the cutter. If you get a really stubborn piece (usually due to a bad score), place the score line on the edge of sturdy table or countertop, put one hand flat on top of one half of it on the counter, and then flex down on the other half with your other hand. You may want to practice on a box of microscope slides or something cheap glass first to get the hang of it. Oh, and wear eye protection!!! When I break glass in the lab now, I usually wear gloves and eye protection and turn my head away when I break, just in case.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

special pliers called groziers will cause your glass to break where you score it.

There is a place on Kavanaugh where they will sell you a pair and show you how to successfully cut glass: Chameleon Art Glass.

Good luck.

9:36 AM  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

I do stained glass. Here are the things I find helpful. Clean glass. Make sure the cutting wheel is oiled and sharp. Hold the wheel straight up and down and pull towards you. I like to stand over the glass. You should hear a very cool zipping sound. Don't push down to hard, the object of the cut it to break the surface not cut the glass. Make the cut one long uninterrupted line. Cut should start for the edge of the top and run off at the bottom (i.e. cut runs to the edges) Do not run over a previous cut with your wheel - it can wreck the wheel. I have a grozier, but prefer to just place my hands on either side of the cut (thumbs on top on either side and rest of the fist below - cut side up) and snap the glass downward into two pieces. It shouldn't take much pressure. Good luck. Its pretty easy.

9:50 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thank you all for the tips! I actually feel like I know what I'm doing. Now all I need is a little practice.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter