The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Suspicious Minds

In reference to these comments, I’ll admit that I am suspicious of the electricians too. It just seems weird that they showed up to work the day we were robbed. I mean, it could be coincidence, but it made a flag go up none the less. Why? I'm not sure, it is just a feeling. However, my wife still feels pretty confident that The Drunk is the culprit.

A few things make me think the electricians are not the most likely candidates are: 1) they stole a gallon of denatured alcohol but not the $100 of new breakers sitting a couple of feet away, 2) the electricians were recommend by Tony Anderson and everyone he’s referred to us has been legit, 3) the electricians wouldn’t know where to park (we’ve had a drought the entire time they’ve worked for us, so mud holes haven’t been an issue until yesterday).

To be honest, I still don’t think this proves them to be guiltless, but I’m pretty paranoid at this point. I question my own judgement.

So, lets have a show of hands. Based on the information I've provided so far, how many of you think the electrician stole our tools? How many think it was the drunk contractor we fired a couple years ago? Or, do you have another theory? Aliens, Satanic cultists, or something more nefarious?

If you haven’t read these posts yet, check them and tell me what you think. Paranoid minds want to know.

My Lucky Day

Reaming Update

A Crime Story

Spring Cleaning

Head Hunting

8 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

It sounds like the drunk to me. I don't think someone would steal tools from the place where they just worked recently. It's too suspicious. I think they would wait a while until you wouldn't suspect them.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for The Drunk.

Have you thought about calling him under the guise of having him do some more work on the Devil Queen for you? You could have him come out to the house to meet so you can get a look at the truck's license plate.

Also, did Jack or Dad right down the serial numbers on their tools?

10:44 AM  
Blogger K said...

All signs point toward The Drunk. To use one of my dad's favorite words, he sounds like a total scumbag.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, based on that info it doesn't really sound like the electrickery guys. And you make a good case for the Drunk ...

Not to stir up paranoia, or to stop you posting because I've enjoyed your blog since finding it recently - it let's me live the renovation life vicariously (without hurting my back or hammering thumbs) - but I've also wondered about people cruising blogs to scope out houses which may be empty and robbable - getting an idea of where houses are and the working habits of the owners.

I don't believe that that was the case here though.

7:52 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yokel,

I've wondered about that too, but it's not too much of a concern for me. Most folks around here don't have interenet access, and I don't think I've given explicit directions to the Queen (maybe I have, I can't remember). If I lived in NYC, it might be more of a concern.

Glad you like the blog and thanks for reading.

8:35 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hey Sis,

No one wrote down the serial numbers of their tools.

Calling the drunk is ingenious, but I'm not sure if he'd go for it. I think it would look a little wierd for us to call a guy we fired to get a quote for more work. I think he might be suspicious if we called. I doubt we'd see or hear from him.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to find a drunk:

Try using the internet phone reverse lookup sites:

Here's one:
http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

Try also http://www.zabasearch.com for name and general location

and if you get location clues, try this:
http://www.ar-tax.org/
If he lives in Pope County and has paid taxes in the past few years, he will be listed here.

10:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

Allison,

The tiles are for the kitchen an not the bathroom. The porousness isn't too big of a concern for us. Nothing is perfect. On the upside, marble is great for making homemade chocolates.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter