The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, April 10, 2006

20 Grit

Here is your floor with linoleum glue on it:


Here is your floor after 20 grit paper and an edger:

Any questions?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, why haven't you removed the shoe moulding? This way you can edge closer to the baseboard and reinstall after the floor is finished. But I'm guessing you were being sarcastic since there is still lino glue on the floor(?). Science tells us 50 percent of email recipients misjudge the intended tone and humor. Suffer blog postings all the more.

4:13 PM  
Blogger John said...

Wow. 50%? That is depressing.

I sanded this little patch of floor as an experiment to see how well the 20 grit worked on glue. Neither my wife or I wanted to scrape it off.

While I agree that pulling the shoe moulding off would be best, we're worried about breaking it. It's original & very fragile. If it breaks, we probably won't be able to match it. On or off? I guess we'll wait and see.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, here's the article:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=wn_index_2

and I actually appreciate your sense of humor.

Your floors look awesome (in later postings). The vertical grain douglas fir floors on the second story of my house are similar. Before I refinished them they were covered in thick paint (and stains from the PO's dog). The drum sander became clogged and almost instantly started smoking. I had to strip the entire floor with paint remover before I could sand it.

For some reason the shoe mouldings get brittle. I broke some of the upstairs ones in my haste, then milled some new ones. I managed to pull all the downstairs ones more carefully.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter