The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Gaining Momentum

Things are starting to move so fast on the Devil Queen that I am half afraid I’ll be run over if I’m not careful. Kenny & Burt are hard at work as usual. As of last night, they have nearly finished the crown molding in the main hall. Considering all the work that still needs to be done, crown molding may sound a little frivolous but it’s really essential. It will be the only thing keeping the blown attic insulation (when we get it later this year) from filling the house’s interior. It’s hard to caulk a 1-2 inch gap all the way around a room’s ceiling.

Julian Electric, the electricians that I hired back in fall 2005, suddenly reappeared. They hadn’t worked too much since then but I didn’t push the issue. I didn’t have the money to pay them (spent it all on Kenny), and, since the work wasn’t finished, even if they had asked for the money I wouldn’t have paid them anyhow. Then, last week they came and finished off everything I’d asked them to do and gave me a call. They apologized for taking so long to finish. Apparently, Grandpa Julian had a long struggle with cancer, so they were preoccupied. I can’t begrudge them that.

They’d done great work, so I asked them to finish the Queen’s electrical system. They’ve been coming out for a few hours a day ever since. The AC/heat system, the hot water heaters, and dozen’s of outlets & switches are now fully functional.

And, our tile-guy should be out on the 16th of May to do the kitchen counter top. Depending how far along we are he may also start on the tile surround for the Jacuzzi-bath and the tile shower too.

All of our babysitters are taking vacations this weekend so, my wife has informed me that I will be working solo on the master bedroom this weekend. Really, it won’t be so bad. I’ll probably sleep in, make a huge breakfast, and wander up to the Queen about 1 PM. Then, I will scrape and sand the hell out of the master bedroom ceiling. If I manage to finish that, I will try to finish off all the pinko-commie wallpaper too. And, if I’m feeling frisky, maybe I’ll try my hand at cutting a replacement piece of glass for the broken window.

I’m still waiting to get the camera back from my wife, so no pictures for now. Sorry. Maybe Friday?

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

So do you have a move in date set???

9:22 AM  
Blogger John said...

Not yet, though we're hoping to be in by the end of this month. If we can finish the master bedroom & bath and kitchen by then, it will happen.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter