The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Floor to Die For

Well, maybe not. Don’t get me wrong, I like my kitchen floor. I don’t like it that much though. I’ve always taken the “adequate ventilation” caveat seriously, but my best just wasn’t good enough (windows & doors open, fans on, etc). The day after we stained the floor my wife and I were both hung-over. That’s right, all the pain with none of the fun. It sucked.

It was so bad that Kenny left all the window open and fans going when he left the next day. Normally Kenny locks the Queen up when he leaves, but the fumes were still too much for him 24 hours later. Wow.

This floor looks substantially different from our master bathroom floor even though the wood is all from the same source. Maybe the planer took more of the surface & varnish off than the sander did? I don’t know, but I still like it anyway. Scarlet says she likes the kitchen floor more than the master bathroom. I don’t know; I like them both.

Here is the part where I torture you with my astoundingly bad photography skills. In real life, the floor isn't as dark as the first picture and has deeper, richer color than the second picture. If you imagined a darker, richer version of picture two you'd probably be pretty close.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John--looking great...We are in th middle of doing our downstairs floors...Should be done this weekend (last coat and buffing). We've been entering the house (to get upstairs where we are living) via a ladder and crawling through the window. My wife loves me. Kids think its great.

My camera has crapped out so I can't even do a decent blog entry...but the floors have a variation in color, like yours. Love the look.

Keep up the good work.

11:22 AM  
Blogger John said...

Patrick,

Thanks!

If we're not carefull, we may be doing the ladder & window routine too when we get to the main hall. All the bedrooms are accessed from the main hall. If you can't walk on the floor, it only leaves the windows.

Good luck with finishing up.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hey, do you still need any 1" plugs for those holes?

12:40 PM  
Blogger John said...

Gary,

Absolutely. I think we need six of them. Pine not oak. Shall I email you my address and sing your praises?

7:04 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Yes, email me a mailing address and I promise you won't get any encyclopedias! Maybe a license for your goldfish but no encyclopedias!
Is it like the yellow pine in the kitchen or the upstairs wood? I suspect the upstairs wood is a different species. It looks like wood in our bedroom which may be aged poplar. I will email you some pictures of our finished wood and a brief window sash installation report in the next few days.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter