The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Weakling

I've been chastised once again for not posting more regularly. My wife likes reading it while she is taking a break at work, and, when I don't post, I "rob her of all reason to live." A thousand appologies, I'll try to do better.

One of the biggest problems I've had with this project (and everything else) is that I consistantly over estimate my ability to get things done. At best, this is annoying. At worst, it's a freaking trainwreck.

I think that I pushed myself a lot further than I thought this last weekend. Monday, I had six hours of sleep, three pieces of toast, some cheese, and half a pot of coffee. Then I worked non-stop for about 12 hours, the last hour and a half in the rain. This was after we'd already worked all night Friday, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday. This is why I am still too tired to work on the Devil Queen after work as of today. Tomorrow night I'm going to get off my lazy ass and get back to work.

The humidity is slowing things down too. The drywall guy couldn't finish the master bathroom today because the mud is still too wet. Jake poured (layed?) the shower floor today, but I don't see that curring before next week. Still, it's looking good. The kitchen counter top just needs grout and the hot tub needs a back splash, but things are moving. And to think that I was planning to do this all myself. I'm a fucking crack head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

You know, you are really cracking me up this weekend- or maybe I'm just cracking up from all the hard labor and I'm getting you better. I hope that doesn't sound weird.

Over here, we're waiting for concrete to dry. It's fun.

I don't think there's anyone who has not underestimated the time for a project. We all just wish it would be done that fast I guess. If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be working on our place for this long, I don't know that I would have beleived it. We've taken "breaks" from major work, but it's still going and prob. will for a few more years...

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter