The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What to Do With Our Wood?

Here is another picture of our master bedroom. This is after Kenny finished tearing all the drywall down for me. The camera has washed the color our some. The wood is really a richer, amber color. The wood immedately to the left of the door is closest to the true color. As I mentioned in the comment section of the previous "wood" post, the wood is virgin. It has never been painted, stained, etc.



Tarr suggested using a Minwax pickle-whitewash stain. Here is picture of the color from the Minwax website.


So, back to my original question, what should be do? I can't make up my mind. I started yesterday thinking danish oil and then I switched back to paint and then oil again.

Also, the wood still has thousands of little wallpaper tacks in them. We've considered leaving them for "character" or pulling them all, or . . .

Suggestions?

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That is a tough one. I would go with something simple at first. Maybe just clean it up a little and oil and then see if you can live with it that way. See how it suits you. If not then you can always paint it. Also, I think the darker the better. If the wood has a lot of "character" it will show up more with a lighter color. It may prove to be too much character. A nice dark stain or oil might hide some things and give a good balance.

4:12 PM  
Blogger modernemama said...

The wood is so rich I'd try the oil first, if it darkens it it could make for a gorgeous cosy bedroom. You can always paint it later if you hate it, that's easier than painting it and then regretting you didn't try the natural finish.

5:08 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

This is a tough one. Personally, I like lighter bedrooms, but that's a matter of individual taste. I vote for oiling the walls (but removing the tacks first- ouch if you bump a wall on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night- can you tell that I'm a total klutz?) first to see how you like it. Have you considered an accent wall, perhaps behind your bed or on a window wall, that you could either whitewash or paint a lighter color to brighten it up a bit? I am not a fan of pickling stain as our PO stripped and pickled two of our original American Chestnut doors upstairs and I have no clue how to remove that. It seems like it would be much easier to strip paint than to remove that pickling stain if you hate it.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Go to the library and look at some decorating books for rooms with wood walls for some ideas. The wood gives the room a masculine look.
You can always go plaid with fabric and hang a few deer heads around the room. Oh and an antler rack chandelier would give it that lodge look!
Umm, you know you are a redneck when...you stair at the orange juice because it says "concentrate"....

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering what walls in the rest of the house will be left as wood versus which ones will be painted? Will you end up with wood-overload?

6:50 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I'd remove the tacks and someone mentioned a white wash I think- that might be cool. I'd test that out if it were me. Or else, embrace the rustic and go cabin-style sans deer head though- maybe a stuffed squirrel or skunk would be humorous. Pendleton blanket etc... :)

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter