The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Forest Fire

“No junk food, just earthly goods
I ate weird berries in the woods
Now I’m seeing colors, I’m getting higher
I think I’ll start a forest fire”

- The Dead Kennedys


No plumbing for me last night.

To make a long story short, my in-laws are selectively logging a lot of the pine off their 100 acres. The logger’s bulldozer broke down and caught fire. We’re in the middle of drought and the average afternoon temperature has been around 100 degrees. The underbrush caught fire. A slight breeze carried it up a gully toward the top of Crow Mountain. Volunteer fire departments from all over Pope County came out to control the blaze.

My wife and I were concerned about my in-laws house. We kept calling but no one was answering the phone. A low cloud of smoke hung over the Devil Queen's neighborhood. Around 6:30 PM I went over to see if everything was okay. As a real feel good, I passed several fire trucks heading towards the Devil Queen on my way over to their house. Fortunately, everything was okay. They’d all been outside building a firebreak around the house to be on the safe side, so they were a little too busy to worry about phone calls.

Never a dull moment.

It could have been much worse. The fire didn’t get big enough to light the trees. If the fire ever makes it to the tree tops, you can pretty well kiss your ass good-bye. Since the wind was pretty light, we really lucked out. If the wind was stronger, the fire could have easily raced up the gully, jumped to the top of the mountain, and burned the Devil Queen's subdivision completely down.

Here is a piss poor map of it. The dark green line represents the top of the mountain. The fuzzy green is supposed to be the wooded slope down the side of the mountain. Once you get down to the bottom (were all the roads are) the ground is fairly flat.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter