The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Small Pleasures

Scarlet and I have spent a lot of time talking about the kinds of plants we like have in our garden. We were thinking about several different ones for this rock retaining wall. Something to grow out of the cracks or cascade down over it from the top. We still hadn't decided what we'd put here when something volunteered itself.


Poison oak. Nice. I'm so very excited.


Thank God I'm lazy (and suspicious) and didn't pull it out when I was weeding.
It's taking pleasure in the little things that make life worth living, right?



Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me if there was a better way to get in contact with you, but I am sort of new at this whole 'blog' thing. What I was wondering was if there is any tips you may offer to other people out there who are considering buying an old fixer upper. I have read all you and your family have gone thru with the devil queen, and I don't know if my husband and I could do it. But anyway, is there any basic 'walkthru' checklist of things to examine when looking at houses? I can't seem to find one online. We obviously plan on having a pro do the inspection before we buy, but in narrowing down houses, is there anything we should look for that would signal a big problem, or good quality?

If only it was like buying a used car. THere are hundreds of checklists out there for telling if there is good shocks on it or not, etc.

So really if you or anyone else out there could point us to a reference checklist for newbies it would be great. Then we could know the little tricks for checking out the condition of things in the house.

And maybe in helping us, you could free another young couple with small children from the slavery that the Queen has imposed on you.

12:53 PM  
Blogger John said...

April,

Posting in the comments is fine. And, I'd be more than happy to post a check list for you. I've got a lot going on this week, but I'll see if I can get one up for you by Friday. Also, check back here in the comments section every now and then. If you are lucky, some of the very knowledgeable house bloggers that read the Devil Queen might leave you some tips too.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used all the checklists for used cars, and still managed to buy lemons...which at least makes car-shopping consistent with house-hunting for us! We used a professional house inspector, and bought a wreck anyway (obvious to the eye, confirmed by his report) 'cause it was all we could afford. Oh well!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter