The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Exorcism By Travel and International Stardom

Sorry for yet another long absence, but it was utterly unavoidable. I spent a long weekend in Boston for my little sister’s wedding. Aside from the 21 hour trip to Boston (bad weather, cancelled flights, and a night spent at Gate 36A at the Detroit Airport), it was a very good trip. Really, with the exception of the 21 hour cluster-fuck, there was no shortage of good things about this trip. At this point, you must be thinking, “Holy hell, he doesn’t even seem all that pissed about that flight up to Beantown. Alien abduction or NSA brainwashing must be at work.” But, you’d be wrong, sort of. Somehow, being completely removed from my day-to-day life was like having a whole slobbering, horde of pernicious demons exorcised. Sleep deprived and all, I still feel pretty good about everything. Okay, maybe not that good, but definitely better. Well enough that once I get a get a good night of sleep in that I’m seriously considering taking up a few projects at the Devil Queen. At this point, that is nearly as miraculous as Immaculate Conception or the Second Coming.

You patient, long-suffering readers are probably thinking, “Okay, we get the exorcism thing, but what in the seven hells are you talking about ‘international stardom’ for, again?” Sure, I’ll be the first to admit that it may have been two bottles of Champagne talking, but everyone at the wedding knew me. Even complete strangers. At least half a dozen people stopped me and asked, “Excuse me, are you Jenny’s brother? You are? I love your blog! How is the house coming? Oh, you have to meet my wife [or significant other].” It was just like being a real, bonafide celebrity. You know, maybe not as cool as Kefier Sutherland, but definitely better that Cory Feldman. I mean you don’t see me on one of those have-been celebrity reality shows like 101 Ways to Eat Monkey Sphincter, unless my blog counts as a cheap reality show. I suppose the argument could be made for that. If it does, so be it. I still maintain that DIY home improvement is far cooler that racing midgets, eating grubs, or mud-wrestling senior citizens. Maybe not by much, but I’ll take what I can get.

Anyhow, it was a beautiful weekend in Boston. I spent a good bit of my Saturday making love to the paintings of John Singer Sargent and others at the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, having coffee with folks at an nice Italian café in the North End, walking down the waterfront wishing I could go to sea on one of those huge sail boats, and watching the svelte, young ladies in sun dresses taking in the lovely weather. Call me old fashioned, but I didn’t see any woman’s but cheeks or thong in Boston and I didn’t miss it. Sometimes, less really is more.

I know this is probably of limited interested, but, damn it, whatever magic this trip worked, I’m feeling good. It’s a disease I have to share.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the offer to help with heavy lifting at TinyCabin - but how about Boxley in the fall when it is breathtakingly lovely and not chigger-ridden?

9:44 AM  
Blogger John said...

Fall is always better than Summer in Arkansas. And, the chiggers have been exceptionally bad this year. I got six bites walking to and from the car at my mother-in-law's house. Bastards.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I was just in Boston too, on Sunday July 22 and Thurs July 26. I didn't feel nearly as relaxed as you though, we were rather stressed a good portion of the time.

Glad your trip gave you a good feeling.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter