The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Knob, a Hole, and a Door but No Answers

Here is one of the many unfinished Devil Queen projects.



This is our closet door in the master bedroom, and, aside from the coat of white paint, it is pretty much exactly as we found it. Note the hole where a tragically 1980’s doorknob resided. While I can’t say that I miss the cheap knob any, the hole does pose a problem.



I figure our possible solutions are as follows:

1) I go online and find a modern reproduction knob that will nicely fill the hole.
2) I try to ignore the hole and mount a rim lock over it.
3) I patch the hole, paint the patch, and install a rim lock over it.
4) I patch the hole and install a different sort of lock & knob like a mortis lock, etc.

I’d considered installing this lock, but the door is 1 ¼ thick and the knob can only fit a ¾ thick door. Actually, I have to wonder to what kind of door this would go. I haven’t seen too many ¾ doors. Maybe it goes to a cabinet?


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

I hate doors. We've been fighting with doors all over the house for months now. Good luck figuring out what to do with that mess of a lock situation!

11:18 AM  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

That set looks an awful lot like a screen door latch (?)

A two part epoxy would fill that hole to the point where it would be totally invisable under paint. Then you could start with a clean slate :-)

7:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

Amanda, I don't know if I'd say that I hate doors. I mean there is always plumbing to HATE. However, I have hired out a lot of the work on our doors, so there could be a reason for that. Thanks for the luck, I need it.

Stuccohouse, you are a genius. I think you may be right-on with the screen door thing. Also, the epoxy is a good idea too. I was thinking about filling the bulk of the hole with a wood plug and then wood putty, but epoxy may be better. As it so happens, I have a can of that somewhere so I'll have to give it a try.

5:46 AM  
Blogger StuccoHouse said...

I should probably come clean....the hardware in your photo looks almost identical to the stuff I have on my storm door......the same storm door where I filled in an old hole with Abatron eopoxy (with very good results). I don't just know this stuff ;-) I put a nail through the hole to give the eopxy something mechanical to attach to. You door looks very nice!

1:04 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Aaron spent Sunday trying to hang a set of double doors. About 7 pm, we got them both up, and they need to be trimmed about another 1/8" total to close. Grrr. Still hate doors.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter