The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, December 21, 2007

Decrapification Equals $73.45

That's right boys and girls! Once the cleaning starts, the money pours in by the fistful!

Last night I went to Lowe's and returned three sacks full of unused, unloved, and unwanted plumbing supplies. And, having learned from our encounter with Ms. I-flushed-my-brain, Lowe's resident demon of the return desk, I took the unusual precaution of washing all of my returns. That is right, I washed them.

Filling the kitchen sink with hot water and gently washing all the dust and dirt off thirty or forty PVC and CPVC fittings is an odd experience. You have to be extra careful to not get the stick-on price tags too wet so they don't fall off or bleed, but I did it. Then, they were all carefully dried and bagged.

I didn't have any trouble with my returns. They wouldn't take two items because they weren't from Lowe's (fair enough, right?), but I'm okay with that since they gave me $73.45 for everything else.

I can't wait to see what else I can find to return.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love returning stuff. You feel so good about that money, even better than when you get the paycheck that actually supplied it in the first place.

Amanda and I once showed up with a whole shopping cart filled with stuff. It was awesome!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

The plumber that worked on my house estimated the supplies he would need and gave me a list...turned out that he WAY overestimated and by the time he was done, I had a box full of returnable stuff.
Suprisingly, the cashier at Home Depot found it comical that I had sooo much to return and quite enjoyed ringing everything up.
I on the other hand was estastic with the total $230-something dollars-SWEET !!!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

I think plumbing is one of those things where you always return a lot. There are so many different fitting, and you don't know exactly what you need, until you need it. I've returned over 100 dollars worth at a time. Home Depot even gave me store credit for some fittings I bought elsewhere. I guess it was the same brand as they carry.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Wishing all at the Devil Queen a very Happy New Year!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter