The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Balls of Solid Brass

When the Devil Queen first came to roost at Houseblogs, there was a small community of about 50 other blogs already there. Over the last seven or eight months, the number of housebloggers has swelled to 165 as of today. Personally, I think this is pretty cool, but it has a downside. Mainly, there are more houseblogs than I can reasonably expect to keep up with. I’d have to sell my house, quit my job, and leave my wife to devote my full time to reading houseblogs. Nothing personal, but I just don’t see that happening.

However, I had a few spare minutes at lunch today, and I perused through some of the new additions to the neighborhood and found this and this.

My question is, how in the hell did no one notice this before? I mean holy fuck, a missile silo! Wow. Talk about balls of solid brass. And I thought moving and restoring the Devil Queen was an insanely ambitious challenge. It sounds as easy as tying your shoes by comparison.

Fitz, as one crazy person to another, you are completely and total insane. You have my utmost and undying respect. I wish you the best of luck. I know you’ll need it.

I’m not even sure where you’d begin on a project like this. I’d guess pumping the 100 some-odd foot deep water out of the main silo would be a good start.

8 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I am not on the houseblogs webring. Am I the only one? I sent my link to the guy, but he said he would add it when I fixed a picture sizing issue I was having. It's fixed, but still no word from the houseblog guy.

Hmmmmmm, could it be that this is a good thing? As a ninja, having a blog that is hidden is probably ummmm, ninja-esque?

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Ninja, I did approve yoour application (nice job on the images, BTW). Your site is in the directory. If you want your entries to start appearing on the houseblogs home page, just log in to your account and add your RSS/Atom URL to your profile. It will then start appearing automatically. Email me if you have problems.

Regarding the missle base...yeah, I can't express how excited I was to see them join. :-) I'm hoping to do an interview soon and post it on houseblogs.net.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

This is great. Now, when someone tells me they think I’m nuts I can say, “Hey, at least I’m not restoring a missile silo!”

Seriously though, good luck to those two. I think they’ll need it. Do they come with decommissioned missiles. Now that would be cool.

1:19 PM  
Blogger John said...

According to the guys site, he bought the silo on ebay. I took a look at the auction and it didn't come with any missiles. Bummer.

On the other hand, I imagine radiation is worse than asbestos or lead when it comes to clean up.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see if he restores it to its original condition...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Ben Biddle said...

Hopefully the Russians have also taken the location off their target list. Where do you buy red phones anyway?

4:54 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Screw the missile. What this guy needs is the "Big Red Fan of Death" to make his purchase complete.

You can find details here if you don't have an idea about my comment! http://oldmanstreet.pycs.net/

8:31 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Okay, I updated the feed thingy. I don't know what's wrong with the header though. Thanks Mrs & Mrs Blogguy.

That missle silo is pretty impressive. It's probably beyond most DIYer's skill set, but maybe not. I doubt that there is any local contractor that has done one before either, so maybe it's one of those things that you just have to invent the processes because it's never been before. You could write a book about it and be THE guy whose known for renovating silos.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter