The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Sacrifice


No one ever thinks that it could happen to them. Life was good: decent job, loving spouse, and good friends and family. Then, when you least expect it, you find yourself hoisted upon a cold, hard alter. Ghoulish fiends, minions of your dark mistress, pin you down. A corpulent, damp hand slithers into your pocket and seizes hold of your wallet. Tearing your pocket with ruthless enthusiasm, wads of green dollars, credit cards, and tarnished bits of pocket change vanish into the sacrificial fires. One fiend leans in and whispers, “More, she demands it.” And you wonder, what did I do wrong? How did my life become this nightmare?! And, in your heart, you know there is no end to it.





As my friends and family know, I have several hours a week were I am a captive audience of sorts. I can’t work on the Queen or other “must do” items on my daily to-do list. However, I can occasionally pull out my sketchbook and pocket watercolor set to pass the time. Over the last couple of years, a series of Devil Queen related cartoons have emerged. I’ve never considered myself a cartoonist, and I didn’t consciously set out to make a series. It just happened. At the urging of friends and family, I’ve decided to share a few on the blog.

This cartoon/picture was painted several months back, and I would like to refer you back to the “Open Letter to the Devil Queen” post and comments section. Brenda’s comment, “Beg all you want… nothing will placate her bloodlust but offerings of burnt cash wads,” was just too perfect. I can only assume she has been look through my sketchbooks. Perhaps she’s clairvoyant? In any case, I am suspicious.

For the rest of you who are not actively spying on me, enjoy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

I absolutely love this.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm surprised one of the "suits" isn't wearing a Lowes apron!

12:30 PM  
Blogger K said...

Hee hee, that's great!

2:28 PM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks y'all.

As for the omission of the Lowe's apron, they rate lower in the hierachy of evil than a lot of other folks in my book. Not a bad idea though. It could happen.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter