The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hell of a Weekend

Well, I lost the floor sander lottery. I kind of suspected that I would. Really, I was so busy it was probably better that way.

Monday I had one of those disappointing days where hours of work offer no tangible signs of progress. My goal was to reinstall the trim for the window over the kitchen sink. Mercifully, all the trim was stacked together so I didn’t have to look for it. Unfortunately, two pieces of it were broken. The corner “bull’s eye” block was missing a whole edge. I think the fact they used 6 freaking framing nail to hang it had something to do with it since it broke with the grain in a straight line following the nail holes. On the upside, it was fixable. One of the long, side trim pieces was shattered and beyond help. I found a piece of identical trim (from the main hall’s midget doorway, long since removed) to replace it.

Most of my time was spent stripping the trim and making repairs. It wasn’t anything too exciting.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was a waste. I hit a deer on my way to work. Actually, the sick bastard hit me. Well, sort of. I should have sped up instead of braking. With the exception of the tip of its snout, the damn thing hit the side of my car. The driver side headlight and front fender were broken. The driver’s door is cracked.

As for the deer, I think it survived. It was gone by the time I came to a stop. There was no blood, just a little fur, and my mangled car. If it’s lucky, it’ll have escaped with a headache.

So, I spent the day looking for parts in Russellville. Unless I want to pay a lot for factory order parts, I am shit out of luck. Vernon’s Auto Repair rigged the headlight and replaced the bulbs. For all intents and purposes, it works for now. I’m looking on eBay for some cheap, new parts. If anyone has them, it’ll be eBay. I hope.

Kenny, our new hired help, has been doing some good work on the Queen. As of yesterday, he’d reinstalled and repaired all the original ceilings except for the foyer, on which he was working. It’ll look great once it’s caulked and painted.

Once I catch up on everything, I’ll post some photos.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your deer suicide-by-driver.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter