The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, March 24, 2006

Tape

Okay, I'm back begging for advice again. We're going to start taping and finishing our drywall soon. My wife and I would like to know what kind of tape you all recomend using. Traditional tape, that wierd, sticky plastic mesh, or something else? Please let us know. Thanks!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use the sticky mesh, seems to work well, especially if I put some joint compound on the joint before I put the tape down, then I work it in and apply a coat over it, smoothing it out nicely, at least for the first coat. I know you're not asking for suggestions on the corners but for the outside corners, I saw the guys building my parent's house using the plastic corners with the holes, and spraying adhesive on them. I have since converted to using that method on the corners, no more nail or screw heads sticking up, or a little bend here or there. I get nice corners every time. And its easier........at least for me.

11:10 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I was gonna do a whole post on my mudding tips, but I'll give you a preview.

The seams: Plastic mesh tape. (it works great and you don't have to worry about air bubbles.

Inner corner: Paper Tape. It's got a crease in the middle, the mesh stuff is hard to work with in corners.

Outer corner: Metal bead. I don't like the stuff that you have to put compound underneath, and I've never tried the spray adhesive one. There's a crimper for $20 from home depot/lowes that makes the work quick if you do a lot of it, but just use screws if you don't have a lot to do.

The compound: Use All Purpose compound for everything. Don't waste money on "topping compound".

First coat (except inside corners), use all purpose compound out the can.

Second, third, and inside corners: Use a little water in the compound. ON the 2d and 3d coats, it keeps the first coat from sucking the water out and making the compound not stick. On the inside corner, it makes it MUCH easier to get the air bubbles out from behind the tape so it doesn't peel.

Also, eff sanding the first/second coat. Just knock down the high spots with your drywall taping knives.

And most important: LESS IS MORE!

If you put too little compound, you can add more coats easily. If you put too much, you'll be sanding forever.

11:44 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Awesome timing on this post. I've said that I'll cry tears of joy when we drywall, but it looks like it may happen in April. Thanks for all the tips!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was gonna give my $0.002, but HINinja kinda cleared that up.

I've only ever used tape, if you're not good (as I wasn't back then) and work over it too much I've had it lift up from the moisture and poke through the compound. And you can't sand tape.

He's right about the inside corners though, that crease is handy.

And I would also agree on the metal bead on outside corners.

For second and third coats, I always had a water spray bottle misting thing to dampen the first layer before laying the second. Otherwise it sucks the moisture out too quickly and you're left trying to spread chewing gum.

Angus

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the sticky mesh. It won't peel off like the paper. The metal beads are, IMO, the way to go. They stay in place and make for nice sharp corners... I hope you are more talented than me: No matter how much care I put into prep work, keeping the mud liquid, etc., I still end up having to sand. And, the imperfections only seem to show AFTER I paint. So, this time around we caved in and hired ourselves some plasterers...

10:42 AM  
Blogger John said...

Cool. Thank you all very much. We went to Lowe's and stocked up on everything this weekend. Provided that it isn't stollen, we'll be ready to start on the master bathroom in around 2-3 weeks.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter