The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Midweek Meditations

Kenny and Burt finished up the breakfast nook today. I don’t have any pictures yet, but we’re still amazed by how they integrated the benches into the baseboard (which we love). It never would have occurred to me to do it this way, but I’ll quit teasing you. I’ll try to get some pictures for tomorrow.

My wife and I have decided that we really love the milk paint look in our kitchen, but we seriously doubt that we have the fortitude to paint the entire bookcase/entertainment-center with it. If you figure out the square footage of all that surface area (the shelves themselves are killers), it is really friggin big. One shelf (18" x 6') is roughly 18 square feet. This built-in has roughly the same surface area as 12' x 12' bedroom except that it harder because of all the nooks and crevices. Even our masochism has limits.

As it is, we are still going to be painting the vent hood, and that will be challenging enough.

I’ve been thinking about buying a heat gun. Lowe’s sells them for around $30, and, based on what I’ve seen on various houseblogs, they seem to be the way to go for some serious paint stripping. I have 11 or 12 doors that are in need of its services, and that is probably worth the investment (cheaper than chemical stripper). Jack says he has one, but it hasn’t turned up yet. I still need to finish the laundry room first so I’ve got some time.

And, Steph of Restoration of Ash-Leigh Acres please email me if you’re interested in a “house portrait” at thedevilqueen(at)hotmail(dot)com.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy the heat gun. It will quickly make it onto the short list of best things ever bought. Right next to the rolling scaffold and hepa filters for the shop vac. I did a room with ready strip. It took all summer. I am doing two rooms worth of window and door trim and doors with the heatgun first then a light coat of ready strip. It is comming along about 500 times faster. If you have paint removal needs the heatgun is the best.

Ivan

11:10 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I know I give them free plugs all the time, but check out Harbor Freight tools. The have a heat gun for $20 that goes on sale sometimes for $10. Best $10 you'll spend on something that is not a Class B misdemeanor to posess.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read on the Love My Old Home List [http://www.lovemyoldhome.com/] that using a steamer to remove paint and window glazing is a pretty good alternative to a heat gun. It also doesn't have the potential of starting a fire. You can find out more about the concept here [http://www.oldewindowrestorer.com/steamstripper.html]

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used a heat gun for alot of the paint stripping I have done..I am really wanting a heatless paint remover for Christmas..and started dropping hints.. :)
I linked to a post of yours from last year on vinyl siding...I was talking about it today on my blog...

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter