The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Restless

I had night of fitful sleep and unpleasant dreams; it leaves me with a feeling of apprehension and doom. For once, I don’t think it is the Queen that I’m worried about.

My sole feat of home improvement prowess this week has been ordering three door knobs and locks for the three doors on the back porch. I have also requested (and paid) for them to all be identically keyed. I’d post a picture of them, but the website has one of those goofy copyright image blocks. Instead, you’ll have to click here to look at them.

They are understated by Queen Anne Victorian standards, but it really suits the Queen. She has a lot less lace than some of her bigger, fancier, and better-breed sisters. The price wasn’t bad either. I got all three with the custom keying for less than a single ideal, dream knob from Signature Hardware or something of the like.

Spending $300 with out getting to paw the merchandise makes me a little nervous, but my mom ordered some hardware from these folks a couple months ago and said their stuff is good quality, so I’m hoping things go well.

In the mean time, I’ll ponder my nightmare prophesied doom.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, if you right-click then press OK at their warning dialog, the context menu does pop up and you can select copy image. Emtek probably owns the copyright and requires the distributor website to have that dumb warning.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...do you remember what you dreamt?

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But only if we're smart like david and using Firefox! ;)

4:47 AM  
Blogger John said...

Maryam,

Yes, I do. In fact, I had another set of dreams last night in the same vein. Why?

Angus,

Thanks for mentioning that; I thought that I was stupid since it still wouldn't work for me.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious. Here in Morocco, people are very atune to their dreams as a reflection of what is going on.

8:31 AM  
Blogger John said...

That is interesting. I have to confess that I feel that same way too, hense my sense of disquiet.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...well in Morocco they often suggest curing troublesome ills with white -- putting white candles behind your bed, a bag of white rice under your pillow, etc. (Ahem, even more powerful would be to have one or two white chickens spend a day or two in your bedroom...)Just thought I would pass on the Moroccan Eloise tips.
I am looking out my window and the sky is lavender and pink over the olive groves. We are blessed. You are too, I am sure. Sweet dreams.

11:27 AM  
Blogger John said...

Shoukran bazzef.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I ordered all my (interior) door hardware from them...they're good peeps. Don't stress!

8:01 AM  
Blogger John said...

Thanks, very good to know!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter