The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, August 03, 2007

Transitions

My newlywed sister and her husband, Matt, moved back to Arkansas this week. They've been living, working, and going to school in New England for the last 9 years or so. After work last night, I went to help them unload their moving van into long-term storage. On the way out to the storage facility, we were talking about the Devil Queen.

Matt: "So are you really thinking about selling the Devil Queen when you're finished with her?"

Me: "Yeah."

Sister: "If you do, what will happen to the blog?"

Me: "I don't know. I've been thinking about that, but I'm not sure yet. I imagine we'll get another house. I mean we've got to live somewhere, right?"

Matt: "Wow. After all that work, what will do with all the time you'll have."

Me: "I don't know. I'm sure we can find new and exciting ways to completely fuck our lives up."

Everyone: [Pause followed by laughter]

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Yeah, I've been thinking about selling the fortress when I'm done fixing it up (if that day ever comes). Since I don't want to do another remodel, I've thought about stopping the blog when I finish.

11:38 AM  
Blogger John said...

I don't blame you, but you might keep some incarnation of it around; you have some pretty entertaining non-house post as it is. Getting attacked by that damn swan is pretty hysterical (not that you probably feel that way about it).

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow

Yea, don't feel to bad. I have been planning the sale of the place folks said I was crazy to buy. Thing is that after 4 years the return on investment is going to be pretty crazy even in a soft market.

Also, I am moving the heck out of Milwaukee. Also, to heck with renovating I am building from scratch this time. Then when I run into something done way wrong I can only blame myself.

Ivan (theysaidiwascrazy)

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter